Mixing down in SF 6.0

M Havlen

I want to add a bass track to a wave file that i'v imported into SF, but for the life of me can't figure out how to get this ussually simple process done in SF. ( I'm used to using PA9 but recently upgraded) I'm able to record the bass track ok, but i can't get the imported file to playback so i can play along with it, then mix down...I resorted to the help menu...it says go to Special>Record and iv done so, and the "record" box comes up, And like i said i'm able to record stuff, but not while playing a file back. Then it says to mix down go to Edit>Paste Special>Mix but the selections after clicking on "special" are shaded out and i can't select " mix" ??? What the F... Am i missing something here or is this process really conveluted... or do i have a software prob...??? I'm stumped Hell I'd import it to PA9 but i don't think PA 9 will do that, right....

SF is only a stereo audio editor, not a multitracker -- it's not well-suited for what you have.

You can have two audio files open and blend them together. You have to select one and copy it to the clipboard, then select the other and choose Edit>Paste Special>Mix. It shouldn't be shaded out unless you have nothing in the clipboard or nothing selected to paste the clipboard contents into.

But this is really a lousy way to work if you goal is to overdub musical parts. you need a different tool more suited to this, as PA 9 was.

I still have PA9, But i'v never been able to "import from CD" , I didn't think PA9 could do that. Can it? and if so can't you enlighten me. I'v looked all over PA9 for that feature ( which I would have thought it would have ) but haven't been able to find it.

No, PA9 doesn't have that feature.

You cannot record a track while listening to another in Sound Forge.

Import the song from the CD and save it as a WAV file on your hard drive. Then, open PA9 and import the WAV file to a track, and arm another track for your recording. Easy as pie.

what you need is...........

Acid Pro 4.0 it is a multi tracker, unlimited to be exact.

I also found that Vegas to be better at mixing to songs together even eaiser. just by draging and droping the songs that I want to mix together with to differnet tempos , with acid you have to pitch shift and all that, but Vegas is much easier for this.

But to add musical part to another such as what you trying to do add a bass part, Acid is the key. you can play it while recording you new track.

No problems.

Ronnie Rokk

Back