Mixing down help needed!

mfdjuve

I've been reading a shit load about mixing down and I'm still baffled!

I'm thinking mixing down into a friends pro tools is the easiest option I have. I read on this site mixing down to tape is a definite no go? DAT I know nothing about.
So if I mix down into pro tools isn't that defying the whole analog process? Will I lose the whole tape charm?

Wanting cd's copies is the main objective but recorded on tape primarily.

thanks

Im in the same ballscene
if u mixdown to digital ull end with a stereo mix or with a multitrack mix?

I think ull have a good result, it just depends of the quality of your recording, and the computer interface and software u are using , a good soundboard from apogee, rme, or even motu will do the job... u need nice gear but not the best/ simply not the cheapest u can find.

got 5 songs mixed and recorded on a 388 , its for a friends band , Im gonna master to a PC using Wavelab ( some waves and UAD plgins not sure yet ) external gear : using a digitech reverb and an alesis comp 3630 into the kickdrum track and into the bass track, reverb in stereo, it sounds pretty nice

taking care of the mix is the key for me, equing and leveling things

stereo reverb did a lot for the snare and overhead tracks.

wish I had a tascam 32 or similar to mixdown before reaching the PC

In the end u or your client/friend, will probably want to hear your project from a CD, most probably from a mp3. but not allways

I've been reading a shit load about mixing down and I'm still baffled!

I'm thinking mixing down into a friends pro tools is the easiest option I have. I read on this site mixing down to tape is a definite no go? DAT I know nothing about.
So if I mix down into pro tools isn't that defying the whole analog process? Will I lose the whole tape charm?

Wanting cd's copies is the main objective but recorded on tape primarily.

thanks

I would be surprised if someone in THIS forum said mixing to tape is a "definite no go"! It's been my typical way to mix since 1983 with only occasional exceptions.

You can always make a digital copy of your final mix afterwards (in standard 16-bit/44.1K CD audio format and/or compressed down to an MP3).

Sounds like you are tracking to tape. If you have the option to mix on tape, I recommend that you try it. Mixing to digital will sound different from mixing to tape. I usually like the sound of a tape mix better. Somehow it helps pull the mix together better.

BTW, analog VU meters are more musically useful in mixing, since they respond to average signal levels that track our perception of loudness. A quick and easy way to get a decent starting point on a mix is to solo each track and set the level so that the typical forte peak on that track reads a little below 0 VU on the console (and mix deck) meters. With a four track, you might try getting each peak right at 0 VU or maybe 1 dB below, while with an 8-track you might want each track down 2 or 3 dB. That just gets you a good starting point, of course, so use your ears and tweak accordingly. :)

Cheers,

Otto

'Answer: Don't do it!

I assume you are looking to buy something to literally mix down your final stereo mixes and then distribute cassette tapes from there (I have to assume that because if you had lots of money you'd be mixing to DAT and pressing CDs, right?). I can tell you that almost anything you do except mix directly to cassette will work well for that, because if you mix directly to cassette all your distribution tapes will be 3rd generation cassettes and your sound will be lost in the sonic mud. '

this is from this site

'Answer: Don't do it!

I assume you are looking to buy something to literally mix down your final stereo mixes and then distribute cassette tapes from there (I have to assume that because if you had lots of money you'd be mixing to DAT and pressing CDs, right?). I can tell you that almost anything you do except mix directly to cassette will work well for that, because if you mix directly to cassette all your distribution tapes will be 3rd generation cassettes and your sound will be lost in the sonic mud. '

this is from this site

I really wasn't thinking in terms of mixing to cassette (though that can sound OK) or distributing cassette copies. I was thinking of mixing on an open reel machine, most commonly to 1/4" tape at 15 ips. I usually share digital copies on CD or MP3 because that's what most people listen to now.

Depending on how you do it and the quality and condition of the gear, tracking to cassette, mixing to cassette and making cassette copies could be OK, or it could sound pretty muddy.

OTOH, I doubt I am the only regular poster in the Analog Only forum who would disagree with the assertion that "if I had lots of money I'd be mixing to DAT and pressing CDs". I did use a DAT machine for a bit back in the 1990s and I much prefer mixing to 1/4" tape. Heck, I prefer mixing to my little flash recorder over mixing to DAT.

Cheers,

Otto

You really should provide more information.

Does that mean 1-inch, 2-inch, cassette...??

What flavor protools?
Which interface?

Are you talking about running analog stereo bus into PT?
If that's the case then yes it sounds like your best choice unless you have a Studer A-80 or an Ampex ATR-102 around.

I'm using cassette tapes in a 424.

I he has Pro tools 8, not sure of exact stuff but he just got it.

M audio interface, don't know the model but it's got I think 12 inputs, if that helps

I'm not sure how it all works, the specifics.

I just want to know should I
\
A. mix down to cassette then run it through pro tools for mp3's cd's

B. mixdown direct to pro tools

if i do mix down to cassette does that mean to a cassette deck?

thanks

This is just my opinion but Dat sucks. Forget about Dat No one uses Dat anymore.
If your going to send something in to be replicated for CD,s Just mix to a computer or Cd recorder.

It's all about the analog-to-digital converters.
Your buddy's PT rig is probably the best choice.
Know anybody with one of these?

Those apogee converters are way out of my price range.
Hah mine too but we can all dream yes?
All devices that record digital audio from an analog source have A/D converters. You just want to use the best one available to you which as far as I can tell is your friend's PT.

Back