mixing down from 4 track tape to pc

A better sound card would certainly help. VIA, as in onboard? I recommend a card with more than 2 analog inputs, but one with only 2 should suffice for your immediate needs.

If you get one with 4 inputs though, you can do on your PC what you do on your 4 track tape, with better sound quality and more control. Plus, you could then save your 4 track tape for mobile apps.

If you do get a 4+ input sound card and track on your PC, just remember you will probably not be able to plug your mics directly into it, and would have to use preamps or a mixer w/ 4 channels out. If you are happy with tracking on your analog 4track and just want to mixdown onto your pc, you can get a decent 2 input card. I saw an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 on eBay for $140.

I think it will make a noticeable improvement. I noticed a great improvement in sound quality when upgrading from a SB Live! to a Delta 1010LT (besides the extra features). Plus the new card will be much better suited for what you want to do (no adapters, better options, etc.)

I don't think it is too easy or cost effective to try to get a PCI sound card to work with a laptop. You may have to go the USB route, if your laptop has a USB port

Back