Mixing down and mastering with BBE - process?

chessrock said:
drummers who have significant high-end hearing loss.
Hey! I resemble that remark!

Well, I am one of those drummers, half deaf in one ear, no high end in the other....but proud to say I don't use the BBE....I just crank up everything above 4k until it sounds right to me...hehe :D :cool:

Keiffer said:
a BBE has never mucked up a mix... the guy turning the dials does... it's that simple.

hmm.....So i take it you don't believe in gun control. :p :D

i dont know,its like steroids....not natural,and addicting.

:(

oh and it shrinks your penus too :mad: oh wait no it doesnt :D

Back to the original point...
Use it before mastering because it MAY produce peaks & even distortion you hadn't anticipated & would normally deal with via compression & limiting etc when mastering.
BBE, Aphex, Omnisonic 801 etc - should come with a warning - use at your own risk. I've used that latter with some spectacular results but many more hideous disasters. They are options & can be nasty or nice. Reliance on them will "colour" your listening.
& as someone mentioned mix with it in the chain & keep a copy of the result then do the same mix with it COMPLETELY removed from the chain & then compare the results.

BBE has it's uses, but it is not a "fix all". It is NOT an eq, or an "auto eq" as many think, and if a person knows what it is they would not say "I can get the same results with proper eq". It is phase correction and alignment. It was best put when someone stated it falls down to the guy turning the dials. It is a highly respected piece of gear used in many of the top end studios I have recorded in. I was in NFL studios recently, and they had a rack full of them.

Toker41 said:
I was in NFL studios recently, and they had a rack full of them.
Probably for the crowd noise processing more than anything else. Adding imitation sparkle to a fake stereo crownd of 80k people is the stuff that sells surround systems and digital cable subscriptions to Joe LaZBoy ;) :).

Yeah, I third the notion that *everything* has a use somehwere, sometime, and that unfortunately includes products that that sound more like sex enhancement devices than audio enhancement devices (auralizers, finalizers, maximizers, mostotherizers) and are often marketed to be more of a Fix-O-Matic for naiveophytes than as the special-purpose signal processors that God intended them to be.

In the right hands for the right purpose, a maximizer can sometimes be just the trick. But they unfortunately tend to fall into the same usage category as most multi-band compressors, they are used by rookies to try and do in the mixdown what they couldn't do or neglected to do sometme well before they summed. This usually results ramming the gear down the mix's throat with all knobs blazing and winding up with a master that is squeezed and processed more than Minute Maid orange drink.

That's not the gear's fault. It is 30% the marketer's fault for selling the devices as Easy Button devices, and 70% the user's fault for believing them.

G.

I use on I like if for certain applications when certain things are lacking. However, in past endeavors I had an engineer that was dead set on using it during mixdown. The result, we never went back to him after he basically destroyed a perfectly good mix. Honestly in regards to mixdown, I don't see why you'd need to add one to it if you're getting a good mix to your ears in the first place.

When i do use one on my guitar or bass it's only very subtly cause they have a tendency to make things very muddy in a hurry.

You have to remeber just because your hearing one thing, someone else can hear something totally different. It's all dependant on their personal settings and what they're listening to it on to begin with.

Guess I forgot to ad somelthing to my comment. I DON'T use it for mixing. I use it in my guitar rig (except for my Mesa Rectifier), and I use it in my bass rig, and I use it on some drum tracks, but not many. If it's used to much on to many tracks it will get muddy, and produce highs that are very unpleasent. To much of anything is not good. I do not consider it a "mastering" tool. In fact if you were to send your songs out to be mastered, they would tell you NOT to use anything of the kind on the mix down. It has it's uses, but not in mastering, or master mix channels.

Keiffer said:
If it does what you need then it corrects it...
Correction implies that the phase relationship was wrong in the first place. It would also mean that you would need a way of measuring the phase of the original signal and, somehow knowing what the phase relationship 'should be', you use the box to bring everything back to where it was supposed to be.

Back