Mixing brands: monitors and subs

Sonic Idiot

I'm looking to add a sub to my setup. I'm tracking with KRK V4s, which are really swell, but they obviously lack bass. (although they will shock you with what ground they do cover.) Thing is, I feel a KRK 10" sub would be a bit of overkill. An 8" should do me considering my smallish room and musical style, which is largely acoustic, pop, folk, etc. So, I'm looking at the Yamaha 8" sub. I'm sure it would work. I'm sure it would hook up fine, but I'm wondering if anyone out there has tried mixing brands/systems like this to any success or failure.

Properly calibrating matched system subs is so amazingly difficult (and very few have any idea what it actually takes to get a *stereo* setup properly calibrated, which is absolutely nothing compared to what has to fall into place with a sub), that I'd heartily recommend just getting speakers with larger woofers (8" would be a nice place to be) and just skip the sub.

Properly calibrating matched system subs is so amazingly difficult (and very few have any idea what it actually takes to get a *stereo* setup properly calibrated, which is absolutely nothing compared to what has to fall into place with a sub), that I'd heartily recommend just getting speakers with larger woofers (8" would be a nice place to be) and just skip the sub.

^^^^^^This^^^^^^^

Back