mixing books

RobbieD

HEY does anyone know of any books that teach you how to mix and master music in general and also any other books that teach you how to mix and master dance music..

Google...... :)

I mean, books are OK, but they either repeat the same generic stuff from author to author....or you get one person's slant on something that may not be applicable for you or in every situation.

Books will only take you so far...and that's not all that far either, IMO. Once you understand the generic/fundamental stuff, it's more about repetition and learning something new/more each time, and if it's not really working for you, and you don't move forward....another book won't necessarily give you the keys to the kingdom.
You may need to hook-up up with someone that has it working for them, and learn by watching, by example.

Then of course....there's also the possibility that it's just not for you.
Everyone reads books on biology, chemistry and math in high-school....but they don't all become doctors, pharmacists and mathematicians. ;)

As Miroslav stated, they are just one persons interpretation. However, I have found the following useful:

Home Recording fro Dummies - Jeff Strong
The Mixing Engineers Handbook - Bobby Owsinski
Mixing Secrets for the Small Studio - Mike Senior

Thumbs up for those mentioned above, But i'd add 'Mixing Audio' concepts, practices and tools by Roey Izahki, You can download files that are used as examples throughout the book so you can hear exactly what is being explained, For example what increasing ratio on a compressor will do to a sound. Also there are 3 songs with 24 bit stems that you can import into your daw and do a mix. At the back of the book he goes through each track and explains what he did to his mix... I used his final mix as my reference track and tried to get mine to sound like his without reading what he did, after the first few mixes I was getting pretty darn close.
I'd highly recommend this book, also just to add among the files you download are sound files that you can use to help set up your monitoring.

The ones I've read or reading are:
Home Recording for Beginners - (Should be on Amazon iirc) it has exercises to work through, etc. Very good for beginners
Reaper Unleashed! (Reaper specific - it's on their recommended reading page)
Mixing Secrets for the Small Studio - (like someone else mentioned) Very good book and includes some recommended gear like studio monitors

Robbie,

If you're just getting started (actually, even if you've been mixing a long time), you need to check out Mixerman's Zen and the Art of Mixing. It will change how you think about mixing. I can't recommend it highly enough!

I agree with others; there is much info on the web. Just be careful, because some people come off as being authoritative, when they don't really know the first thing about mixing. Be diligent and sift everything you read in forums and on websites with a fine screen.

Best of luck!

Back