Mixing Bass

Frankie

Maybe this questions have been covered before
but here's the thing;
The bass always seem to take up a lot of space in the mix. The music style I do is mainly pop, so I want it in there doing what it should, but not take all the space. So what is the thing to do here?? A lot of compression or EQ, or maybe both??
Anybody with some knowledge on the subject?

Frankie

yO fRANKIE:> [from the land of skiers]

Don't know what gear you're using, but you can or should be able to control the bass.

Record the bass line on a separate track? Then, you can EQ the low up a tad and the Hi down a tad. You don't need much if any reverb on bass. If you do, you will get orchestra/hall boom-boom de boom.

Save the reverb for the vocalist; or use a touch of reverb to warm up the entire mix.

Sometimes doing the mix can take up 8 or 10 hours just for a simple three minute cut, depending what you're after.

The Green Hornet

Hi there Green Hornet.

recording the bass on a seperate track seems like a good idea. I'll try it!
Do you use much compressor on the bass?
If so, how much ratio?

Frankie

By "taking up space" what exactly do you mean? It sounds like it's too loud, or the other stuff is too quiet. This problem is easily solved if you're using a computer system to record. I don't know what you're recording on.
I do like using compression on the bass. And the ratio depends on the song. It's up to the bass player to try playing as consistant as he can. But sometimes you just need that bass to stay a nice consistant volume. So the ratio really will always depend on how good the part was played by the bassist.

I hope I've been some help to you.

EQ is the main thing here. If your bass is pushing other instruments out of the mix, it's probably because it's swamping the frequencies those instruments are using.
Using a sweepable EQ can help you find the perfect spot for the bass to sit in.

I often use distortion on the bass. Not a lot, but just enough for it to cut thru the mix. Then I find I don't need to have the level too high and you can't actually hear the distortion in the final mix.

If you have an EQ, diminish the 200 Hrtz frequency for all intruments. This will open up any mix consideratly.
The bass sounds warm around 500 Hertz, so keep this in place.
Try in diminishing 1 KHz from all guitars and drums.(not for acoustic guitars)
That's the Frequency place for the vocals.
These tips should basicly help you in mixing.
Compressor for bass needs a fast attack and a slow release.
It was a pleasure, if helpfull.

YO Frankie and land of the SNOW:

I don't use a compressor: I have one in my basement; however, I never really could notice a positive or a negative effect when I had it hooked into my system. But, then, others swear by them.

I use bass patches from my DX-7 synthesizer; I have about 18 different patches and, of course, they are all programmable; so, I don't lack in types of bass.

I would think that recording bass right out of a bass speaker would be difficult in a home studio.

Keep twiddling the dials and don't leave home without your ski-poles.

Green Hornet

Thanks everybody for helpfull tips!
I hope to have a final mix out on the net soon, for you all to judge.

Frankie

Back