Mixing Bass (Bass cuts out on high notes)

diskobox

hello

i've been mixing a track and when the bass player is playing the high notes, the low-end of the bass cuts out.

Initially i thought compression would sort this out but it didn't. I tried multiband compression also which did not work very well unless i have been using the wrong frequency bands.

Is there any way to sort this out rather than me cutting and pasting the high note sections to a different track and EQ'in them seperately?

thanks

Firstly, I should state the obvious. Higher notes have less bass. :cool:
So you want your higher notes to sound more "in-line" with the low notes? You have to know that you're not ever going to get that low rumble anywhere on the D or G string.

This is where I would start. Reduce the bass under 100hZ or so. Give a nice, broad boost centered around 800Hz with a good EQ. Then compress to taste and turn it up.

Here's another tip: Try cutting notching out with a fairly narrow Q at 80hz or so and boosting (if you boost, I don't) at 40 and then again notching a little bit at about 320 (or boost that) to go along with the boost at 800hz. Sometimes bassist's EQ their shit all wrong and make the low fundamentals so loud that the higher strings don't have a leg to stand on. Any bassist that immediately turns his 'bass' all the way up and neglects his low mids is going to be a culprit.

Back