Mixing and Bouncing question

BAMA

I just recorded a track and it sounds pretty good to me but. Its clipping. I know what your going to say (turn it down then rookie). But I did. The part of the tracks thats clipping are the hooks/chorus. Maybe I'm not recording the hooks right. I did 5 stacks to try and get the full/thicken stereo pan feel to it. I have the lead going up, one pan to the right at 100, left at 100. one pan right 50 and left 50. What I'm trying to do is bounce the verses then upload them back up. Then bounce my hook separately upload the hooks on the same track with the verses but on a different session, so I can have more RTAS room and then I will be able to control the clipping more. My problem is that I haven't upgraded my computer yet ( I will be soon not enough cpu and ram sucks) but for now it does the job. I was trying to figure it out because I never use that many RTAS before. So what do I do first. Save session then. Solo my verses and enable a stereo track for the destination. Hell I dont know :confused: . One more thing. When I do get this right, If i want go in an change anything around, do I have to do the step by step process all over. Oh yeah I turn up my playback engine for mixing and down for recording and I use buses and sends, To try and use less RTAS memory. Right now my computer is at about 65% RTAS. SUCKS

Last edited:
Here's a few things to consider:

When you recorded the track was it clipping? Or is the track clipping because it has too much gain in Pro Tools? If it clipped when you recorded it you need to re-record it with a lower gain level on your interface.

Stacking tracks right on top of each other isn't going to do anything except double up on how much processing power your DAW needs. It will also clip easier, even if the tracks are panned. It would be much better to just have one, maybe two tracks of audio (so you can do stereo panning) and keep the track gains below 0.0dB. Then use compression to bring the levels up. If you still can't get the tracks loud enough then the gain volume on all your other tracks might be too loud. Keep in mind that ideally your gain on any given track should never exceed 0.0dB.

Heres the link to the track tell me how do you all think it sounds

Last edited:
Hmm... I didn't listen to the whole thing -- I listened to the first minute or so and then clicked at random parts through the rest of it, but nothing seemed to clip to me. It actually sounded pretty good. Can you tell me at what x:xx in the song it clips?

If the parts you stacked are separate recordings and not just duplicates of the same, then what guitarplayr said about doubling amplitude doesn't really apply.
It's definitely better to record it each time rather than just duplicate one recording. I assumed you DID record it several times.

I'm not sure exactly what you're needing to do. It sounds like you're just wanting to 'print' the five tracks, including RTAS effects, down to a stereo track in order to conserve processing power.

If that's it, well you're on the right track. Do just what you said and then make the original tracks (with the RTAS plug-ins) inactive and hide them if you want. You'll still have them for later if you need to make changes, and you can just use the printed stereo track without hogging CPU.

Back