Mixing Amps with AMP heads?

-Julian

OK I am looking at buying a new cabinet amp with half stack, thougth its obviously a little expencive. Well, i want to get the nice marshall sound and i was looking at the Marshall JCM 2000 Triple Super Lead 100 amp head, but i dont want to buy the JCM marshall cabinet.. Would it affect the sound qaulity any way if i mix the amp head with a marshall MG100 amp head? thanks for any comments.

You can mix and match heads and cabs all you want to try and get different sounds, as long as you take into account the impedence and wattage of each.

I don't really know how the MG cab sounds, so I can't say how that particular one would sound, but just in general, I would say that the other cab would probably be better than the MG, simply because the MG series is one of Marshall's budget lines. Also, don't stick with Marshall just because it's Marshall. If you like the sound of them, that's just fine, but go by sound, not by brand.

The best advice, though, is to just go and PLAY THROUGH THE AMPS/CABS, and see which one you like better, and go from there.

I've been told that a TSL thorugh a MF400 is "BALLS TO THE WALL"

But yeah I wouldn't use the MG cab for the same reasons above.

also I don't think that it's full size, though I may be wrong

Personally, I prefer the JCM series cabs for the TSL. I have heard the TSL a couple of times through the MG cabs and the sound is certainly not as as big or defined. It still sounds OK (much better than the MF/MG heads) but loses some of the crunch and overall power. Not necessarily volume, but the aggressiveness of the sound.

Thanks alot guys, and no im not buying marshall only because it says "Marshall", i the tone it produces with the style i play and the guitar i use. I was also looing a mesa amps but yea. your info really helped, thank you.

I believe the mg cabs have very budget oriented speakers while the 1960's have the nice 75 watt celestions. If you're picking between the 2 then get the 1960, if its a matter of price then I'd try to find a company that makes a kick ass 2 speaker cab. You don't really wanna cheap out on the speaker considering it gives the mic the sounds to record.

Back