Mixing Acoustic Guitar and Singing

ChrisPFuchs

This is my first thread, hopefully I'm posting it in the right place. I'd like to get an idea of how people would tackle recording and mixing simply a single voice and acoustic guitar under these circumstances.
Assume you have four microphones, A cheap pencil condenser, a cheap vocal condenser, an Sm57, and a moderately expensive microphone, well rounded, not too bright, and made to record anything. (I'm thinking of the Cad E100s).
You have a mixer with four pretty good preamps, all with phantom power. The mixer can connect to the computer and send two channels, stereo - left and right.
You have a small interface, it has a Hi-z in, one ok preamp with not phantom power, two line ins, two analog outs, and a headphone jack out. It also sends two channels, stereo - left and right.
The interface has a slightly better analog to digital converters, if that matters much.

How would you guys record it?
Would you record the acoustic guitar separate from vocals and if so, how?
-Would you dub it twice, left and right to create a stereo spread?
-Would you use a single mic for each track? The pencil condenser? -which is made for recording things such as acoustics. The most expensive microphone? The Sm57?
-Would you stereo mic one recording?
-Would you use xy, and which mics would you use?
-Would you use a space paired for recording, which mics would you use?
Or would you record it all at once as one performance?
-Single Mic picking up everything?
-One mic on guitar, one mic on vocals
-Two mics on the guitar, one on vocals
-Which microphones would you use, and how would you stop the bleed, or would you use that too your advantage?

How would you route your choice of recording to the computer?
-If you are recording two mics on the guitar, and one on vocals, all at once, would you use 'asio for all', use three of the preamps on the mixer, sending one of them to the interface via the insert, that way allowing you to record all three tracks individually? How would you deal with lining up the tracks, assuming the mixer and interface record at different latancies?
-Record using the mixers a/d conversions
-Or route the mixer to the interface, maybe using the inserts to get the 'cleanest' signal

How would you use compression. Would you use compression on the acoustic guitar at all? On vocals? Heavy or light? At all?
Assume you have a verse and a chorus, the chorus get's quite a bit louder, maybe twice as loud. How would you deal with the compression? If your compression settings are set to even out the verse, what would you do if the chorus comes in and it's too compressed and squashed?
-Leave the compression alone on the verse, only to activate to balance the peaks in the chorus.
-Maybe use two different compressions working at once? Is that even possible?
-Lover the over all volume of the chorus?
-Just use different compression settings for the verse and chorus?

How would you eq it? Would you eq the acoustic guitar at all? How? The vocals at all? Would you leave a lot of the bass in the vocals or take it out? - and if you did, would it be through a high pass filter?

Reverb, would you put it on the entire performance, the guitar, or he vocals? Would you use it as an effect, or more as a blending, glue, spatial tool. Or would you use delay on vocals instead?

Would you use a limiter and compression over the entire mix?

You don't have to answer all these questions haha, I'm just wondering in general how people would record something simple like this under these normal home studio circumstances. Hopefully this is a type of a thread I'm allowed to post. I know some forums don't like certain types of threads and stuff.

I'd mic the acoustic with two mics, one being the main - your best condenser, one of which is aimed at getting whatever is needed to fill in the guitar's sound, if there is something - could be condenser or dynamic, it depends... and play the song twice. Make up a single good sound out of each pair by EQ, in particular, depending upon the guitar, HPF and LPF ing... pan half left/half right. Sing tune. Touch of reverb on acoustic, bit more on vocal.

Your "twice as loud" comment doesn't really mean anything. You capture the dynamics of the performance with the microphones and then mix to get what you need the song to do. This involves, generally, mic technique on both vocals and guitar, and mix technique when you're assembling.

I wouldn't necessarily use compression at all, except perhaps on the "lesser" of the pair of acoustic tracks. Everything else is in the "it depends" basket.... couldn't say without hearing the guitar, voice and song. And I wouldn't worry about mastering it at this stage - ie. using a limiter - until you've posted your meisterwerk in the clinic here and had some of the ears there listen to it. Unless you're secretly a mastering engineer, that is.

Job done.

Next?

Back