mixing a bluegrass backing track

pcstudios

This is a bluegrass backing track to a song I wrote. A friend wrote some lyrics and she will be singing on top of this later.

I have 4 acoustic guitars total. The song is in Am, and guitar #L is panned left playing rhythm with no capo, guitar #R is panned right playing rhythm capoed on the 5th fret, guitar #C is dead center, mixed really really light, playing rhythm capoed on 2nd fret. Then there is a lead guitar solo panned slightly left. There is also a banjo panned slightly right and a electric bass center.

I wanted a layered effect and an effective stereo image to come through.

I used parallel effects, but there is nothing on the master track except my meters.

My question is the guitar layering too annoying in any way? I think it's sounding pretty good, but I thought I'd shoot my inquiry your way. Thanks!!

View attachment Sounds of the Deep mix 4.mp3

Sounds real nice to me, I don't think the layers are overwhelming at all. There are some occasional guitar squeaks that sound like they could be cleaned up a bit.

It will be up to your friend when she tracks her part, but I'd think the banjo might get pulled back for tracking, and possibly less guitar, too. Hearing the chords clearly and rhythm so the vocalist can concentrate on what is being heard in their own singing (in headphones) is all that matters at that point, not the mix so much. My $.02. (I'm assuming it's still a ways off from full instrumentation for bluegrass, though?)

I didn't like the guitar layering as it was, so I re-recorded a rhythm track in stereo, and blended in another guitar in mono dead center. I also added a mandolin. It should be off to the singer.

Attachments

• Sounds of the Deep mix 6.mp3
    7.1 MB
Back