Mixing 80's Style Rocker....

Dig the tune! My only nit would be the snare sample. Or at least the way it's treated. Seems too thin for the mix. Its sounds like a snare drum being hit really soft so it is mostly the snares you hear and not the body. Hope that made sense.

I also like this tune, especially the vocal treatment. Sounds like the 70's-80's. I can hear the snare well enough, but adding something along the lines of a snare bottom mic sample would help it out.

Needs more crack in the snare. Sounds too ‘woody’
Needs a bit more verb on the drums for that 80s vibe
Oh and some cowbell ;) (kidding)

The tune overall reminds me of some Iron Maiden stuff

Pretty cool

Pretty cool
Now we are into personal preference. :)
The snare is too loud now. So not sure it isn't more about placement and some plate verb now. Kick and snare are the first things you hear cutting through when volume turned way down. That is the test for me. It shows what is coming through. The snare still seems on top for the wrong reasons. It's dominating above the vocals.

Like the new sample, but I am hearing the wrong part of it coming through. Hard to explain that...

Last edited:
Ok, let me try.

Turn your monitors way down. Like till you can barely hear them. What do you here? I hear a typewriter kind of click there on the snare. Like 5-6k? That is the frequency I would address. Also the same thing with the kick, but that is more like a 2k thing. The low volume shows where those frequencies are most easily produced that you don't hear when shit is turned up.

Since I didn't mention, love the vocals man! You remind me of someone...

Oh, and I would add the same small plate verb that you do to the snare to the toms. Same vibe.

Not sure what you are using, but the Soundoys Little Plate is my go-to for things like this. It was free for me, but likely because I own a bunch of their stuff and have an ILOK.

Yep, it's $99...

Pretty cool
Thanks much for the comments !

Ok, let me try.

Turn your monitors way down. Like till you can barely hear them. What do you here? I hear a typewriter kind of click there on the snare. Like 5-6k? That is the frequency I would address. Also the same thing with the kick, but that is more like a 2k thing. The low volume shows where those frequencies are most easily produced that you don't hear when shit is turned up.
Appreciate your thoughts and explanation. makes sense! updated file, Added plate Reverb on the Toms (Using R-Verb) along with some compression adjustments hopefully getting closer...lol....doing the super low test, I hear the vox first with the snare not far behind. Thanks again for your suggestions, much appreciated.

Ok, let me try.

Tip Of The Day - awarded to @jimmys69 :guitar:

bbb.jpg

Back