Mixers/Preamps, need one with the other?

Dougdlux

Ok, so I have a 16 channel mixer, (8 direct out puts), and a Digi 001, so I can basically record up to 8 multiple tracks at the same time. I am in the market for a cheap mic preamp, and was wondering, do I NEED the mixer in order to go from, lets say the Nady PRA-8 Preamp to my Digi 001? It is a cheap preamp, I know, but it's gotten semi decent reviews and all I am doing is recording me and my friends music, demos and such. I was wondering I can go mic > preamp > digi 001 > computer because a few of my mic pick ups on the mixer aren't working properly, some cutting out, some not picking up a signal period. Any help with the would be great.

PS - If you know what could be wrong with my mixer that could help too :). Behringer UB224FX - Pro. The mixer itself isn't great, I know that.

As for a cheap preamp, FWIW, you could go with the presonus digimax D8. It is an eight channel mic preamp so if you were recording something like drums, you could have all your mics and pre amps right there. From what I've heard, presonus gets very good reviews and the ease of use on their products is a main selling feature. I once used a PS firestudio project and those preamps were decent. I believe they are the same ones on the digimax. The cost is 399.99 but I've seen them used on ebay for 250 here and there.

Back