mixer with mbox

vacant

Im looking to get a mixer to record drums and then send it into my mbox. i know how to do this but im curious if anyone has any suggestions as far as a board with quality preamps. im thinking of a mackie with firewire interface so i can send the individual tracks into their audio interface and then send them to protools, but im not sure if they are any good.thanks

I have a Soundcraft M-series (M12) that I like and they aren't too expensive. It doesn't have a firewire interface so you'd be limited to tracking two channels at a time through the Mbox.

you won't be able to use the Firewire device as a sound card with Pro Tools. You still have to go through the Mbox some how in order to get it to PT. And you're limited to two channels at a time. So in other words, find a good mixer and sum it down to 2 channels and then take the main outs into the Mbox.

Well, he may be able to. You'd have to have another audio program running on the computer with Protools (maybe the Mackie comes with a package?) capable of tracking multi-channel, then exporting the tracks individually as wave files. These could then be imported into Protools. I did something similar for a long time using a Korg D1600 hard disc recorder and exporting tracks for upload into Protools.

yea the mackie mixers have a an audio editing program that somes with the firewire option. are mackie mixers garbage?

Reviews are mixed but some people like them. You could certainly do worse. Make sure their recording software allows you to export individual tracks as .wav files or other Protools compatible format.

Back