Mixer vs. Outboard Equipment Units

LPH1993

Hello,

This is my first post here, so please excuse my newbiness. I currently own a Behringer X2442USB mixer, and I typically use it for basic guitar and bass recording, as well as occasional gaming commentary. I use a Shure SM57 dynamic microphone for guitar and a t.bone SC-450 condenser microphone for vocals (which is quite an oddball of a mic, not well known, but is a great value and very similar to a Neumann TLM 102). I also have a Focusrite 2i2 audio interface, and I interchangeably use the Focusrite and the Behringer for different needs.

I've had all this equipment for about 6 months now. Originally, I bought such a big mixer because I had planned on using it to record my band's shows and jam sessions. But we had to part ways because of college. Anyway, while it's fun to mess with, I've realized that I really don't need a mixer this big, or maybe even at all. My recording needs now primarily consist of just gaming commentary vocals and guitar/bass recording for my own personal projects.

My question is, should I sell the Behringer X2442USB mixer and the Focusrite 2i2 audio interface in exchange for some outboard studio rack equipment, such as compressors, preamps, and EQs? These two units do a good job for what they do, and they suit my needs well, but I'm interested in upgrading my equipment, and ultimately my recording quality. Is it better to use individual components (like a compressor, preamps, EQs) together, rather than a mixer? Also, how much would I have to spend on each component to see (or should I say hear) a difference in the quality of my recordings?

Thank you for any help in advance,
LPH1993

I have the SX4882, I like the console because I am old fashioned and like knobs. I also have lots of outboard gear such as comps and gates. I never use them. hindsite being what it is I would have gone with a full DAW setup and spent the money on a good computer and interface setup. the DAW can do so much more than outboard gear, plus if you record with the outboard stuff you cannot change it later. go with a good interface and a good computer. I am in the process now ( which means I am in the want and trying to figure out how to pay for it phase of getting a new PC and a UR824 interface. for what I have spent on stuff I do not need I could have paid for it twice. :cursing:

^^^^^

Yup again. Unless you spend a lot of money on outboard the "in the box" effects will sound better and be easier to use.

I appreciate all the feedback so far. I'm generally seeing the same answer: ditch the mixer, use the 2i2's "in the box" effects.

The 2i2 came with some access codes to Ableton Live 9 Lite and their own branded compressors, gates, EQs, and reverb units. I am currently using Ableton as my DAW. I realize that this is not an ideal DAW for what I'm trying to accomplish, but I'm not sure if I want to dish out nearly $600 for Pro Tools just quite yet.

From using the "in the box" plug-ins provided by Focusrite, it feels like the effectiveness of each unit is very minimal. That may just be due to the low cost of the product itself, or maybe I haven't used it to its full potential yet.

Like Atkron205 said, I like the knobs of a physical unit and the ability to change it right there from an arm's length away, rather than having to open a plug-in window and mess with the "knobs" with my mouse. But it also seems unanimous that putting your money into a good DAW is the way to go. If I understand this correctly, I'd pretty much have to have an arsenal of outboard effects units to match the capability of what a good DAW can do.

If I do go with the DAW route, would Logic Pro X be a good fit for my needs? (Gaming commentary vocals, guitar, bass). I use a MacBook Pro 15", which is about 3 years old now, but still performs nicely and is probably capable of running it. Logic Pro X is much more within my budget, compared to something like Pro Tools. I'm just wondering if the $400 difference in price really makes a difference in the sound.

Again, thank you for your responses!

If I do go with the DAW route, would Logic Pro X be a good fit for my needs? (Gaming commentary vocals, guitar, bass). I use a MacBook Pro 15", which is about 3 years old now, but still performs nicely and is probably capable of running it. Logic Pro X is much more within my budget, compared to something like Pro Tools. I'm just wondering if the $400 difference in price really makes a difference in the sound.

There'll be no fundamental difference in sound between those DAWs, or any for that matter.
There will be a difference in the stock plugins and tools built into each.

PT and Logic are both top players so i doubt there'll be much between them.

If your work is fairly simple, though, try Reaper first. There's a very good chance both Logic and PT are overkill.

A 3yr old MBP is, as you say, also fine. If you ever feel it struggling under pressure, pop an SSD in as the system drive. Night and day!

Thanks! I'll give Reaper a shot. Apparently they have a 60 day free trial, which is quite a generous promotion!

And what do you mean by an "SSD"? I'm normally fairly computer tech-savy, but I'm not sure if I've heard of that abbreviation.

I'm not sure why you'd find your DAW's effects to be ineffective, but perhaps you're not using them correctly. There's little difference in sonic quality between DAWs (though the makers of Mixbus and Samplitude claim otherwise). It's mostly the workflow that differs. There's very little in PT that Reaper can't do, and probably a few things in Reaper that PT can't do.

Pick a DAW that fits you, that you feel most comfortable using. I prefer Sony Vegas because I've been using some variant of that software for fifteen years. Reaper is similar enough that I can work pretty efficiently. I'm fairly proficient in PT but I find it rather annoying in many ways (though it recently went from lame to excellent in the way it handles clip gain).

I'm not sure why you'd find your DAW's effects to be ineffective, but perhaps you're not using them correctly. There's little difference in sonic quality between DAWs (though the makers of Mixbus and Samplitude claim otherwise). It's mostly the workflow that differs. There's very little in PT that Reaper can't do, and probably a few things in Reaper that PT can't do.

Pick a DAW that fits you, that you feel most comfortable using. I prefer Sony Vegas because I've been using some variant of that software for fifteen years. Reaper is similar enough that I can work pretty efficiently. I'm fairly proficient in PT but I find it rather annoying in many ways (though it recently went from lame to excellent in the way it handles clip gain).

+1. Go with what suits.

That reaper trial is, indeed, generous and if you chose to pay afterwards it's very reasonable.
I haven't used it extensively but it seems pretty lightweight in a good way.

Unless they've changed it, the Reaper trial is actually unlimited and unrestricted. After the trial period it makes you wait five seconds every time you start it up, but it should still work fine. It's only $60 for the liscence, though, and well worth it. The one big thing that it's missing that other DAWs come with is good VST instruments. There's plenty of those to choose from, though, and many are free. All of Reaper's in built effects are great once you get familiar with them. For the $600 you quoted for PT, you could have Reaper and EZDrummer and a handful of other specialty plugs (maybe amplitube or podfarm) and then fill out with freeware.

Go with reaper. There is nothing that you need to do that reaper can't do and protools would be an unnecessary expense for you.

As has been said, most DAWs really have similar functionality and the end result will be the same. If you start out with reaper, you will learn it and it will be what you are used to.

It won't be a quality difference, just a personal preference.

I appreciate all the feedback so far. I'm generally seeing the same answer: ditch the mixer, use the 2i2's "in the box" effects.

The 2i2 came with some access codes to Ableton Live 9 Lite and their own branded compressors, gates, EQs, and reverb units. I am currently using Ableton as my DAW. I realize that this is not an ideal DAW for what I'm trying to accomplish, but I'm not sure if I want to dish out nearly $600 for Pro Tools just quite yet.

From using the "in the box" plug-ins provided by Focusrite, it feels like the effectiveness of each unit is very minimal. That may just be due to the low cost of the product itself, or maybe I haven't used it to its full potential yet.

Like Atkron205 said, I like the knobs of a physical unit and the ability to change it right there from an arm's length away, rather than having to open a plug-in window and mess with the "knobs" with my mouse. But it also seems unanimous that putting your money into a good DAW is the way to go. If I understand this correctly, I'd pretty much have to have an arsenal of outboard effects units to match the capability of what a good DAW can do.

Just to be pedantic, you wouldn't be using the 2i2's in the box effects. It would be the effects in the DAW software you use. Most audio interfaces (2i2 included) are effectively just mic pre amps with an analogue to digital converter (and a digital to analogue converter for playback).

Regarding Ableton, I also have a copy that came with an interface I bought--it's pretty good for MIDI work but somewhat limiting when working with live sounds. I'd agree with those suggesting you at least try Reaper and see how you get on with it. When choosing a DAW, the biggest item is how well you get on with the user interface. As others have said, the DAW doesn't make much (if any) difference in the sound quality. There may be differences in the on-board effects but you can get a huge number of free VST effects and even more paid ones that work with any DAW.

If you do get on okay with Reaper, you can put the money you save towards things like acoustic treatment, a better mic, better monitors or whatever you need.

Yes, Reaper is the bizz. I would also suggest you download the trial of MAGIX Samplitude Pro x. Yes, expensive but some say all the DAW you will ever need.

Not over keen on the 2i2, soundwise, fine I am sure but a bit compromised on headroom and no MIDI. If you get a chunk of dosh for the mixer I would look for an AI with more connectivity, better drivers/latency....Tascam, Roland, Native Instruments. If you get REALLY lucky cashwise, a S/H RME UCX?

SSD? Yup s'posed to be the dog's whatsits. I WOULD invest in an external USB (3.0 if poss) drive and back up every day.

Dave.

Back