Mixer to computer question? Only get left channel

trippinants13

Okay here goes! I want to record 2 mono tracks (one left one right). Right now I have a Maya MKII soundcard, Yamaha MG10/2 mixer, Samson CL3 mic, Taylor 714ce, and Traction software. I have the mic plugged into channel one on the mixer and guitar on channel two both xlr. I have the mixers main studio outs (1/4" L and R) running to channel 1 left and channel 2 right on the soundcard (mono cables). I've tried panning and all sorts of setups in order to record something on the right channel with no success. When monitoring via headphones from the mixer output it sounds great, but I can't seem to record on the right channel. Both inputs go through the left side. Is there something I am doing wrong. Please help!

you have the same problem i had, but to fix mine i had to use aux sends to main to get stereo or something... but you don't even have buttons on your mixer to send to main, it should do it automatically... i guess i don't really know, i've never used a yamaha mixer

If that's the MAYA 44 MKII .... It's 1/4" inputs are each stereo (TRS). Hence the reason you are only getting signal on the left side of each input, using mono (TS) cables.
You should be able to use a cable such as this to route the main outs (TS) of the mixer to the 1/2 or 3/4 (TRS) inputs of the MAYA.
Two of those cables will give you separate access to all four channels.
Likewise with the outputs.

-Ken

Thanks crank. Yeah I knew that I needed to be in stereo for the soundcard (stupid mistake), so I guess my next question would be on the panning procedures to isolate the four tracks. Do I pan on the mixer or in the software? All attempts have yeilded both channels being recorded. Thanks again.

I don't have either the MG nor the MAYA ... so I'm not the best authority on your routing options. However, if the MG offers 4 Insert I/O points you could use those as direct outs to the 4 channels of the MAYA. Your recording software will dictate how you utilize those inputs in regard to Stereo or Mono tracks. In a stereo track, obviously one channel of the input pair will be left and the other right. If you are recording mono tracks, you will do your panning of the track within the recording program.
Seeing as how your mixer is only a 2 bus mixer, you would have to make use of the Insert I/O for at least two channels to output to the MAYA and hard panning of the other two channels for separation at the main outs to the MAYA.
Clear as mud right? :eek:

It is actually clear. and I thank you for the input. My problem was solved and I now have complete control over four tracks. I did have to use the insert I/O(when all else fails read the owners manual, damn things are always right!). Thanks so much and happy recording.

Back