Mixer/sound card vs. Interface

masterofpuppets

I need help on deciding between buying a mixer and sound card or just getting a firewire interface. I looked through the homerecording site, and I went to my local dealer for infomation. So far the site says go mixer and my shop said go interface. I dont have a huge budget, I think my band and I can afford something up to $600-700. I am really new to recording so I dont know that much. I know that the interface I was looking at had 4 inputs. Only 2 mic and 2 other, the mics didnt have phantom power so I couldent use condencers on that one. The mixer does have phantom power and 4 mic inputs (8 channel). Other than that I cant really remember all that myself and the tech on hand at the shop talked about. I just need some other opinions on this.

Are you going to be recording acoustic drums with your band? If so you might want to consider something with 8 inputs.

Would need more details on your firewire interface but I use an 8 channel mixer and 8 input (although at the moment I'm not doing acoustic drums so I've got more inputs than I need) Delta 1010. I like this configuration as the mixer gives me plenty of routing options. I'd lean on going with the mixer and something like an MAudio delta 44 or equiv. Then you already have 48V power. But I would most certainly start saving your quarters for a good preamp.

The Interface I was looking at is the M-AUDIO firewaire Aduio Duo. Now I was told this is a good interface for its price (About $530 CND) and allows me to moniter in real-time verse of a mixer with no effects added. Like I said though I was told this. The mixer I ws looking at was the Yamaha MG12-4 I think. With a M-AUDIO sound card, which the model number I forgot.

And sorry I forgot to answer the first question, yes we would be recording acoustic drums. But this would only be for demos so 2 mics would work. But I could also buy a adapter to put dynamic mics in the other 2 inputs giving me 4 mic set up for drums which would be enough for sure.

masterofpuppets said:
Also I was told the Pre-amps in the M-AUDIO interface would be far superior to those in the Yamaha mixer..

Hahahahahahahahahhahahahahahaha! The yamahas are far superior to the m-audios.

masterofpuppets said:
haha well like I said I dont know shit. So I guess what people think here is I should go with the Mixer and card?

Either one will work. You might draw up a diagram on how your going to hook everything up (including your monitoring) and that will help you figure all the routing you need to do. I find having a mixing console to be very handy and if you want (many around here prefer it) you can do your mixing with your console. I'm no longer doing that but it's always an option.

Always be careful of the opinions of guys selling these products.

Welcome to the world of home recording! Your "life" as you knew it will now be over and your new found interest will be robbing your paychecks! :D

Get as many inputs as you can afford now or you'll regret it when your drums sound like shit. You may as well, there are cards with lots of ins for your price range.

masterofpuppets said:
haha well like I said I dont know shit. So I guess what people think here is I should go with the Mixer and card?

How about spending that 700 bucks at a real recording studio so you have something good?

Cloneboy Studio said:
How about spending that 700 bucks at a real recording studio so you have something good?

Hey that's great advice. How many hours at a 'real' studio will it take to burn $700?

If it was me with 700 to spend, I'd get a Yamaha MG16/4 mixer and a Delta 1010

Bulls Hit said:
Hey that's great advice. How many hours at a 'real' studio will it take to burn $700?

If it was me with 700 to spend, I'd get a Yamaha MG16/4 mixer and a Delta 1010

How many years will it take you to produce something that sounds good? How many man hours of your effort will it take to get something decent?

If you just want to record your band--go to a studio.

If you want to learn audio engineering--buy the equipment. DO NOT, I repeat, *DO NOT* expect quality results for the next few years.

I can't tell you how many times someone will come to me to record their band, then decide that they want to do it themselves, and then 3 months later they are back letting me record them because they want it to sound good.

What's funny is when they want to try to trade their crap recording gear for the session. That's when you walk over the the AKG 414 BULS and say "see this mic? It cost more than your entire recording setup."

:)

You're missing the point.

Why do you think people started recording in their homes in the first place?

Why do sites like this one even exist?

Money. Most people have very little of it. Over the last 5 years technology has forced down the price of multitrack recording hardware to the point where people can afford to do it themselves. So people are learning as they go and having some fun while they're at it.

And frankly I don't give a sh1t that you've got a mic that cost more than the gnp of a small African nation. A great recording is about the performance - capturing the attitude and the energy. And you don't have to be a gear snob to do it either

Professional Studio VS Home Recording

I'm not sure if there is a right or wrong answer regarding Home Studio VS "Professional" Studio. It depends on many factors inclusive of.....what you want/need, how often you intend on recording and the intended audience for your recorded material.

I have a demo from a so-called "Professional" studio in Houston that sounds like dog farts. My efforts are not "million dollar studio quality", but they are far superior to what this studio was able to produce.

I submit that the gap between "Professional" and Home Studio is narrowing.

Clearly a trained/experienced sound engineer will and should achieve better results than even an experienced home recordist, however....if budget is the issue (isn't it always) you can burn $700 very quickly in a quality pro studio.

As one contributor alluded to earlier, I enjoy the learning aspect of home recording and the inherent ability to spend as much (or as little) time as I want on a song, all on my own terms/timetable. Your not going to get much pro studio engineer TLC for just $700. Probably just enough time to nail down the basic tracks, a few overdubs and a rough mix.

Heck, I've spent hours experimenting with drum and guitar sounds alone.

Back