Mixer shopping (low end)

joey2000

After some input on the AI thread (and thx) and reading stuff elsewhere, I'm thinking this is worth opting for, i.e. a mixer which can double as an AI (many can nowdays it would appear). Experiences appreciated. Offhand I think one with some effects is preferable over one without...I'm not doing anything esp fancy and that might suit my needs, meaning I don't have to deal with it in the DAW but can simply use that to record.

Behringer's seem well-regarded despite their inexpensive price tags, generally speaking, but not set on any brand...just the lower price appeals, assuming reasonable quality and good features.

I picked up a used Behringer X1204USB w/effects from B&H Photo for $110. Came in the original box with all the accessories and looked new. The thing I particularly liked about this model is that it uses a standard IEC power cord rather than a power block with a funky plug to the mixer. The AI is one that sends a stereo track like most in this price range.

Check this link once in a while....
Used Audio Mixers | B&H Photo Video - Grid View

A lot of the low-end USB mixers are just the stereo mix to the computer and you get no ASIO driver

Unless you have a specific need for the mixer - like no MIDI, I'd say spend up towards your limit on the interface. I'd go for the little UR22, though

Until you get to the higher price range, USB mixers only have stereo USB output, so you can record only 2 separate tracks at one time (pan one input full left, the other full right).
Most of them are 16 bit, not 24 bit.
The A-D converters on cheap USB mixers tend to have a high-pitch frequency generated into the signal when the volume is increased. If the mixer has a separate USB output volume control (not just controlled by the main output fader), you can keep it below the threshold, but otherwise you're stuck with it.

Until you get to the higher price range, USB mixers only have stereo USB output, so you can record only 2 separate tracks at one time (pan one input full left, the other full right).
If I understand you, this should not be an issue....2 would be my max and likely mostly just 1 at a time, in fact.

Most of them are 16 bit, not 24 bit.
The A-D converters on cheap USB mixers tend to have a high-pitch frequency generated into the signal when the volume is increased. If the mixer has a separate USB output volume control (not just controlled by the main output fader), you can keep it below the threshold, but otherwise you're stuck with it.
That is a concern. ugh. Unfortunately, most of what I'm seeing online doesn't tell you squat about the AI part of the mixers w/that capability, which is weak.

"If I understand you, this should not be an issue....2 would be my max and likely mostly just 1 at a time, in fact".

Just recording is fine. My first mixer let me record to cassette, laptop, and open reel with +48 volt. If you want to playback those tracks and record tracks 3 & 4, be sure you have a latency free setup.

With the cheaper, 16 bit mixers there is almost always that whistle although if you jazz about with record and play levels in Windows Sounds you can generally get it below the noise floor for 'noisy' sources such as electric guitar. Acoustic guitar via a mic or speech will give you bother IMHO.

Oddly, if you feed the audio from a mixer into the Behringer UCA 202 device there is no problem! You can get a noise floor at about 85dBFS and that is good enough for most home recording (probably about 90-95dB A weighted) .

I would get an AI to start with. If even the UR22 is too expensive, the Alesis i02 Express is about £20 cheaper but still remarkably good.
You can always look for a S/H mixer at a later date, they ARE useful for certain jobs and you could just drive the line inputs of the two (or any) AIs mentioned.

Dave.

As someone who started out using a mixer as an AI, I'll echo Dave - get an interface!
I started with a Behringer - took it back to Guitar Center the next day! Could not get enough gain out of the preamps for an SM58 and 57 without a lof of noise (and no separate USB volume control on it). Got a Mackie ProFX. Better mic preamps, USB volume control - but I was actually using it with a stand-alone recorder to start with.
Generally, the options for low latency monitoring are not good wiht mixers (compared to dedicated audio interfaces).
If budget is the concern, Behring has the new U-phoria line, with the UM2 (1 mic preamp) at a mere $30, or the UMC204 for $80.

Oh, my Mackie still works fine - as a live mixer, what its designed for!

Thx all. Yeah I might go back to an AI...... toying with spending more for a mixer that has "good AI capability" but we'll see.

You have to go up to $399 with Behringer, but it is 16-channel over USB and can also take a USB drive

Thx all. Yeah I might go back to an AI...... toying with spending more for a mixer that has "good AI capability" but we'll see.

The advantages of a mixer over an AI are.
Pan controls, i.e. you might only be able to record a stereo track but you can place the inputs where you like in the stereo 'picture'.
Mic pre amps have less 'sudden death' law gain pots because you have a separate channel pot so, you MIGHT get a slightly better pre amp (but AIs are V good these days)
EQ on the way in but not really that much of an advantage.
FX sends per channel. Handy if you have some hardware effects since it will all be done latency free.

Mixers of course have many more inputs per $ than AIs, this can mean lots of kit, keys, amp line outs, pods etc can be left setup ready to rock.

If none of the above attracts, go AI!

Dave.

Since I've picked up my interest in synths and MIDI the last couple years, I'm always using a mixer. Usually, its going to a disk recorder, but I've been going into the interface where the webcam can grab audio. The last mixer is USB, so the cam-ware should be able to grab that, too.

Now, my interfaces with digital in can take the mixer out when I pump that into a A/D converter.

That means you are going to be buying a lot of stuff : ) hahah

Back