mixer question

Niimo

so what do i do if i have 4 recorded tracks that i already mixed, and decide that i don't like the mix and want to change it? do i have to re-record all the tracks everytime i decide to change something? sorry for the dumb question but i swear this one is alot more intelligent than the last. thanks

What equipment are you using? Do you have the original tape/files/etc.? If so, you can make a new version by changing the levels/panning/eq/what have you, then using whatever process you used to make your first version (exporting from sofware, recording to tape, etc.)

When you say that you have recorded four tracks, I assume that you mean four audio tracks, all for the same song, not four individual songs, also sometimes called "tracks". If this is the case, you "mixed" the four recorded tracks into a stero recording that you are now wanting to re-mix. This being true, you should still have the original four tracks somewhere, unless you recorded over them (if using tape) or deleted the files (if using a computer).
If you don't have the original tracks or files, you can't do anything more than tweak the existing stereo mix by using effects (EQ, compression, reverb, etc.).

All it takes to re-mix the tracks is to pop in your tape (or load your file) and play it, adjusting the faders and trim and EQ just like you originally did in the first place to get the original mix.

It's just that simple.

May I recommend that you buy one of the MANY books available about home recording and read it from cover-to-cover two or three times. I've heard that anything written by Craig Anderton is great. I started with one of his books in the early 90s....

Your other three tracks should still be fine, so you could simply redo the bad take. Then remix. One nice thing about modern digital recorders is that they have virtual tracks which let you record multiple takes of a part. Not to mention that they also give you more tracks to use.

please be patient of my ignorance

i'm not sure if i phrased my question right.if i have all my eq's pots and faders set up and recorded that way, all i have to do is just playback the tracks readjust what i want and it automatically saves all the new settings?

really humble rig:
behringer mx2442
mr-8
2 akg 8000's

i've got a few books on the way, mixing engineers handbook (Bobby Owsinski) and recording engineers handbook (also Bobby Owsinski)

Back