mixer question

Jimmymite

I am new to the board. I have already learned a lot. I was planning on getting behringer mixer just to have some type of mixer for my gear. From what I've seen though I probably shouldn't do that. Right now though I only have about $200.00 to spend on one. I don't need a ton of channels, but I do want pre and post so I can control the volume of my monitors seperately. If anyone has any suggestions then let me know. I will give you some history about my recording. I am in a band that recorded our whole cd at our home studio. I am now trying to build a comparable studio for myself. Below is a link to an mp3 of what we recorded. This is the quality I am going for.

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/464/goodbye_audio.html

listen to "In This Place" It's probably the best sounding of the bunch.

Jimmy

syntax error

hey dont knock behringer! their europeans! that dont mean that their bad....its not like they're made in *cough*france*cough*. i would ask how many inputs do you actually need....also, how many outputs? and when it comes to your monitor volume....how are they set up? are you using your comp? thats the easiest monitor control out there....aside from that...a $50 behringer UB802 mixer has control room outs and volume control with 8 inputs including 2 xlr w/phantom power, aux send and return. not too bad and does the job if thats how many inputs your wanting.

check out the Yamaha MG 16/4... a great way to get away from Behringer and get quality that doesn't break the bank.

Agree with cstockdale.

Alternatively if you're on a budget go for the 12/4 model (which is what I've got). You get 6 preamps, up to 8 outs, plus control room mix, monitor mix. Rock solid units

system

This is what I plan on purchasing this month. (I have nothing right now)

Behringer Truth monitors
mixer? uknown
Audio Technica AT4040
Delta 410
v-amp 2

I fully realize that this is mostly entry level but due to money concerns that is what is necessary. Yes I am recording on my computer. I use Vegas Audio as my recording software.

If you are a total newbie, I would hold off on those monitors and wait until you can afford something better. I have not used those Truths, but I have read many many a thread that pans the hell out of them. As I said, if you are a newbie, it is going to take a long time to learn the software, teh mixer, the V-amp etc..... long enough that having monitors or not is not going to be a limiting factor for quite some time. I have been in this game for 1 1/2 yrs now, and still don't have monitors because I am still getting the micing/gain staging/amps/MIDI sequencing stuff all figured out first. The monitors are the second thing down my list at the moment... the first being a bass.

Of course, others will say exactly the opposite: start with monitors, but even they will say throw the Behringers in teh lake.

behringer

I would have to disagree with the behringer truths. A friend of mine has those and they sound great. We've used Mackies before and these sound comparable.

I agree with Tex. I had a Behringer MX802A. I bought a used Mackie 1202vlz on Ebay for around $200. After I cleaned off the dust, it looked brand new. And the difference in pre-amps was impressive. The Behringer pres just didn't sound good compared to the Mackie. Plus, the Mackie has much more routing options (although I'm not familiar with the new Behringer UB series).

Seriously, if you plan on recording drums (which I am assuming you are based on your post), you should put your efforts into getting enough preamps to mic the drums. You should be looking for a mixer (or outboard preamps) with enough preamps and direct outs and a soundcard with enough inputs. The only reason I'm telling you this is because I was in the same boat less than a year ago. Since that time, I've had to replace my mixer and soundcard all because of recording drums.

You should probably plan on having at least 3 mics on the drum kit (I've been using 4 or 5). That means at least 3 preamps. And if you want any kind of control over the drums when it comes time to mix-down, you will probably want a separate track for each drum mic-- which means a separate out on the mixer for each mic and a separate input on the soundcard for each mic. Then there are issues with scratch tracks or if you want to record guitars/vocals/bass "live" with the drums.

When you start considering all that stuff... you'll appreciate cstockdale's suggestion of putting the monitors at the bottom of the list of things to buy.

agree

I totally agree with you. At this point though I do not think I am attempting to record drums. I'm about a year away from recording drums. For now I am going to be using Discrete drum samples. I have both series 1 and series 2. I might consider getting the Delta 44 because it's a 4 in 4 out card though. It depends on if I can get it cheaper. I know I will have to replace my mixer after a year or so but for now it should be fine. I'm probably going to get the UB1204. I think Beringers can work fine for temporary purposes. My friend uses an MX 8 channel and just got a deal with a label to do production demos for the label as well as also getting $5000 to record and produce an indie artist. So I know that equipment is important but while it's not affordable talent can overcome it.

Re: agree

Jimmymite said:
I totally agree with you. At this point though I do not think I am attempting to record drums. I'm about a year away from recording drums. For now I am going to be using Discrete drum samples. I have both series 1 and series 2. I might consider getting the Delta 44 because it's a 4 in 4 out card though. It depends on if I can get it cheaper. I know I will have to replace my mixer after a year or so but for now it should be fine. I'm probably going to get the UB1204. I think Beringers can work fine for temporary purposes. My friend uses an MX 8 channel and just got a deal with a label to do production demos for the label as well as also getting $5000 to record and produce an indie artist. So I know that equipment is important but while it's not affordable talent can overcome it.

Man I'm selling a Delta 66 ($250) too! Check out my studio sale thread in the free ads forum. Get at me and we can work something out on the Mackie and the soundcard.

Re: behringer

Jimmymite said:
I would have to disagree with the behringer truths. A friend of mine has those and they sound great. We've used Mackies before and these sound comparable.

Really?

Oh well, maybe I should have got some Beh Truths.

and about those monitors

there are a few posts about people picking up fm radio stations.... i wouldnt think much of it except i live 50 feet from the highway and i pick up cb radio transmissions from police, fire, ambulance and truckers.....honestly...I'm afraid to do that. I'll probably start getting the same signal from the movie contact

Back