Mixer? Preamp? Both?

JamLikeHam

I am currently looking to expand my home recording studio. I've been using a terribly simple setup for a while and i'm ready to upgrade a bit. I am currently using Protools MP9. From what I understand when I record the sound goes into the microphone, to the microphone preamp, to some kind of hardware fx, to an AD converter, and eventually the sound ends up in the computer somehow.
I read online that the audio interface that comes with Protools MP9 acts as the preamp and the AD converter and everything needed to get the sound to the computer. Keeping in mind that I don't fully understand the concept of preamps I would like for someone to answer my question.
Using my current Protools MP9 setup, is it possible, or even logical, to add a preamp? The main reason I ask this is because I own an EMS Series mixer that is not being incorporated into my recording process. Is it possible that this mixer (I believe it's main purpose is just to power amplifiers) can be used as some kind of preamp or mixing board for my recordings? If anyone has any advice on what I should do with this thing to increase the quality of my recordings, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I don't know what an EMS Series mixer is, but the fact that you have PT does bring out hte question here (often) - is this is legitimate (paid-for) version? Bootleg software is a no-no around here.
Read this sticky thread about computers and recording.
The typical audio interface used by homerecordists has mic preamps in it, so no other preamps are needed.

Yes it's all legitimate. I have the audio interface that comes with the protools mp9 bundle pack thing, I was just curious if there is some way to use a better preamp or boost the other one somehow. Like I said, I still don't have a great grasp on how all this works.

Musician -> microphone -> interface -> computer -> ProTools

The interface is (without knowing what it is) probably both preamp and analogue to digital converter and getting a better preamp will be the least of your worries for a little while. It presumably will also provide phantom power for condenser microphones.

Mixers have uses but aren't necessary for a basic set up. Leave it alone for now and start recording...

Yes it's all legitimate. I have the audio interface that comes with the protools mp9 bundle pack thing, I was just curious if there is some way to use a better preamp or boost the other one somehow. Like I said, I still don't have a great grasp on how all this works.

Boost the other one somehow?

What mics are you using?

The Fast Track should have plenty of gain for the MXL's, but might be marginal for the SM-57.

Back