mixer pre-amp + external preamp?

drumboi

i've heard that the behringer pre-amps on their mixers are not very up to par, so would i be able to plug in a mic into an m-audio audio buddy, then plug the audio buddy into the mixer, therefore having a better pre amp quality?

yes you would plug into line in on the mixer.
but if you intend to record to a sound card line in you could ....
mic>>>audiobuddy>>>line in of sound card as well.
if you want a good mic pre favored by a lot of folks look at a rane ms1b.
another forum i was reading someone(a senior engineer) posted i think at ioforums.com if i remember that even steely dan have used it. but i dont know how true this is.

If you're trying to upgrade, you might want to look at the DMP-3 instead of the audiobuddy.... I wouldn't think an audiobuddy would be that much better than the pre's on a behringer mixer. Probably a little bit better, but not enough to justify "upgrading". I hear good things about the DMP-3, it's a little bit more, but people seem to like it a lot better than the audiobuddy, and I've heard some pretty nice sounding clips from it.

drumboi said:
would the pre amps on the behringer mixer be sufficient for recording?

Yeah if you don't mind sounding thin and wheezy....

I mean, people make fun of Mackie VLZ level mixers but those are radically better than what the Behringers are packing. At least the Mackie's have headroom to spare and a tolerable spec... tonally they are just a bit mediocre... not bad, just not exceptional.

Get some Focusrite ISA's or Universal Audio 2108's. :)

Behringer mic pre

Howdy!

The Behringer mic-pre's are not the best, however, they do work. And they're not all that bad for the money. If you're like most people and don't have a ton of money to spend on really good outboard preamps or a higher-quality mixer, don't sweat it. Get a one or two channel preamp for your super important stuff such as your vocals and acoustic instrument. Use a condensor mic for those along with an outboard tube mic pre-amp. I've been using an ART Tubepac. I own 2 Behringer MX3242's, and the features are great. I have found myself wishing the mic-pre's were better so I could get a more driven level for drums and such, but you make do with what you have. And it's not bad at all. An outboard mic pre makes all the difference in the world for vocals and acoustic instruments. It's a must. Worry more about good EQ skills and get as good of a level as possible. Of course, unless you CAN afford a better mixer or a bunch of outboard pre's, then by all means do it. You will produce better stuff if you're content with what you have than if you worry about getting the best/more gear. I can testify to that. "Those who wait for the perfect conditions get nothing done" (says that in the Bible somewhere)
Hope this helps!

-Clintage
www.clintage.com :cool:

Back