mixer or preamps?

dietcookie

Right now i'm using an Inca 88 Soundcard (8 Inputs/8 Out), but only two of the inputs have preamps. At most I am using only 4 inputs at a time (drum set), I connect my Snare and Kick to the inputs that have preamps and my two OH condensors into a mixer and take the L/R line outs of the mixer into the sound card. I think this is kind of innefficent and unnecessary so I want to get a mixer where I can plug all the mics into, and take the outputs which will be line level into the sound card.

My trouble is I can't seem to find a mixer with outputs for each channel. Should I keep trying to find a mixer that will suit my needs or should I just buy a preamp? Any suggestions? Thanks

you need a mixer that has either direct sends for each channel, or inserts on each channel. If it has direct sends, it will also ahve inserts, as directs are a higher-end feature. But, with inserts on each channel, you just have to take the signal out of the insert point by plugging a TR cable only part way in. You can get this feature on many mixers, Mackie VLZ Pro, Yamaha MG, SOundcraft, etc. BUT, using dedicated preamps usually will get you a better sound than mixer preamps (think about it, say $400 for a two-channel preamp, or $400 for a 16 channel mixer, which do you think will have higher quality sound?)

cstockdale said:
you need a mixer that has either direct sends for each channel, or inserts on each channel. If it has direct sends, it will also ahve inserts, as directs are a higher-end feature. But, with inserts on each channel, you just have to take the signal out of the insert point by plugging a TR cable only part way in. You can get this feature on many mixers, Mackie VLZ Pro, Yamaha MG, SOundcraft, etc. BUT, using dedicated preamps usually will get you a better sound than mixer preamps (think about it, say $400 for a two-channel preamp, or $400 for a 16 channel mixer, which do you think will have higher quality sound?)

Yeah , i was thinking about getting a preamp instead of a mixer at this point. I strapped for cash so I can't spend too much. Musiciansfriend has a 8 input nady preamp for $99, must sound like shite tho.

Nady makes Behringer look good. Don't do it. You may have an inconvenient setup right now, but you might as well burn 99 dollar bills rather than buy the 8 channel Nady pre, because it will sound crappy. Keep what you have and save a few more dollars. What kind of mixer are you using currently?

Take a serious look at the Yamaha MG 12/4 ($200) or 16/4 ($279)mixers, the preamps are sonically equivalent to Mackie VLZ Pro pres (I have used both and can't tell any more which tracks were recorded with which if my eyes are closed).

The 12/4 can give you 10 outputs, and has 6 preamps. You get 4 outs from inserts, 2 from the alt 1-2 bus, 2 more from the main bus, and 2 more from the Aux sends.

The 16/4 has 10 mic preamps, and you can score 16 outputs from it.

Some may say you are better off yet to wait even longer and buy something that you will be satisfied with for the long run, which may be true, but at least if you buy something like a Yammie mixer, and you decide to upgrade to better preamps, at least you still have a functional mixer that can be used for non-critical things, whereas with the Nady preamp, once you upgrade, all you have is a large paperweight.

cstockdale said:
Some may say you are better off yet to wait even longer and buy something that you will be satisfied with for the long run, which may be true, but at least if you buy something like a Yammie mixer, and you decide to upgrade to better preamps, at least you still have a functional mixer that can be used for non-critical things, whereas with the Nady preamp, once you upgrade, all you have is a large paperweight.

Agreed.....common sense upgrading. Yes, some would have you never buy any gear that isn't the last whatever that you will ever want to buy, stating the "buy cheap, buy twice" rule. That's a good rule if you have the cashflow to apply it to everything AND achieve it in a realistic time frame, but for a lot of folks that would mean not recording for years. In between is a lot of very usable gear that, yes, you're gonna end up upgrading again, but in the mean time you can get working on those recording and mixing chops. Just don't buy crap like 8 mic pre's for $99, which is 8 $12 preamps...scary!
RD

Robert D said:
Agreed.....common sense upgrading. Yes, some would have you never buy any gear that isn't the last whatever that you will ever want to buy, stating the "buy cheap, buy twice" rule. That's a good rule if you have the cashflow to apply it to everything AND achieve it in a realistic time frame, but for a lot of folks that would mean not recording for years. In between is a lot of very usable gear that, yes, you're gonna end up upgrading again, but in the mean time you can get working on those recording and mixing chops. Just don't buy crap like 8 mic pre's for $99, which is 8 $12 preamps...scary!
RD

I agry fully with Robert D.....
The Yamaha will get you going, and it's very nice and quite, kinda bargain actually.

Back