Mixer instead of a dozen input recorder?

WarDrums

I'm looking to record my drum set which requires about 4-6 mics to get the sound I like. the problem is that the only recorders that have enough inputs are the ones that have about 24 channels and 4 - 8 inputs that also cost about 600 - 800 dollars. Would I be able to buy a much cheaper mixer with about 10 or so inputs and then run that into a recorder? How would that work?

there are tons of threads over here people looking how to track drums, you should search for that...

oh well... you need an interface with at least 6 inputs. For example Presonus Firestudio or Focusrite Saffire pro 40

The reason you want as many inputs as possible is if you use a mixer with just 1/2/4 outputs to a recorder, you will not be able to change the mix itself after you have recorded it. Cymbals too loud, bass drum muffled - re-record the whole thing again.

Hmmm...the OP mentioned "recorder" and he got two posts on "interfaces"...

Perhaps it's time to get a bit of clarification.

So, WarDrums, do you want to record using a stand-alone recorder such as a Tascam 2488, or do you want to record using a computer and music software such as Pro Tools, or would either method be acceptable.

We can't intelligently answer your question without this information...

Just the facts, ma'am...

You would need a mixing engineer who can get the mix right in realtime in a single pass as you played the drums if you went that route. I wouldn't hold my breath on that. All I have to say is, thank God all of my percussion sounds are electronic! :D

Back