Mixer Information

I am currently looking for a good mixer and everyone recommends a "mackie". Where do I go to find out about all the mackie mixers available and look at which one is right for me. Also, has anyone got any good suggestions for a good all round $200-$400 mixer?

Yes, go this a Mackie. I love mine. I bought a 1402vlz through the Harmony.com classified. You can use this with audio and video productions. Mackie is the only choice for me.

I went to mackie.com and all I could find under products was a couple of new "compact" mixers and an amp - mixer combination. Where do I get information about the plain mixers. (Perhaps I'm not looking properly)??

before you buy a mackie, check out a studiomaster. i think the studiomaster is a more musical mixer...i've owned a mackie 1202, and now i have a studiomaster rotary club, which is comparable...however, the mackie does have channel inserts and xlr outs, which are lacking on the studiomaster. if you decide to get a mackie , i don't think you'll be disapointed..however, i think the studiomaster stuff is really nice. for your info, fostex makes a digitial mixer, for about $250 but it lacks a lot of features found on analog mixers in your price range...however, it does have a digital out (unfortuneately not an rca connector)plus it has effects. hope this helps.

Thanks for the pointers, but now I have another question. Could you explain the specifications - 12x2x1, 14x2x1 and 16x4x2. I know that the first number is the number of channels, but what are the other two?

haven't dealt with mackies in a while..but i think this is it...the 1202 and the 1402 are stereo mixers, stereo outs, while the 1604 is a four bus mixer...the 1604 gives you four different channels of output with whatever you want on each channel from what your mixing....think of a simple stereo mixer with panning as a 2 bus mixer...i wouldn't think you'd need anything more than a stereo, two bus, mixer, unless your tracking a live band.

Numerically speaking, the mixer codes go like this in an (AAXBBXC) format:

The first number (AA) is the number of INPUT CHANNELS on a given mixer.

The second number (BB) is the number of SUBMIX BUSSES. Sometimes these BUSSES have outputs from the board, but not always

And the final number (C or sometimes CC) is the number of FINAL MIX BUSS(ES) and subsequent outputs. 1 being a mono output, 2 being stereo. This is the PRIMARY OUTPUT BUSS from the board.

Sorry ya all, but the mackie product line is about cheap, not good! NERO! You have some fine taste there my man. Notice that Nero made mention the the fact that his Studio Master "is a more musical mixer", and he is right. Also, a Studio Master will be around for a long time. Mackie stuff is made primarilly of plastic parts, and will not hold up to well.

But let me give you guys another alternative, how about the Allen and Heath consoles. They now have smaller frames to accomadate home studio's. Allen and Heath offers excellent mic pre-amps, killer sounding musical equalization, and at least as many features as any mackie in the same frame size. Check it out.

I've just looked at the Mackie web site and have noticed a new addition to the VLZ Pro compact mixers - the VLZ-1642 Pro. What do you think about it?

[This message has been edited by Doug (edited 08-19-1999).]

Check out Musiciansfriend .com They have a lot of mixers. Mackie, Eurodesk
Alesis etc. Pretty good prices too!

Dom Franco

Well, sure the knobs are plastic, the faders are plastic. The case is metal. There are not many mixers in this price range that offer low noise and good preamps. Knock Mackie all you like, they are popular, and they are good... and cheap.

Emeric

Mackie is'nt the most sturdy console especially the meter bridge, but as far as sound quality for the money, its a good deal.Its a very clean sounding board if you use the boards pre-amps.Although we prefer to use external pre-amps direct to tape when taking tracks down and only using the board for mix down.We use the 24 x 8 which has been good on the road and in the studio.

Bill

Back