mixer for Tascam TSR-8

DESSERT DWELLER

Hello, I just picked up a Tascam TSR-8 from a friend for $300. He found it at a local yard sale. Supposed to have low hours and he was the original owner.

I had a question about compatible Tascam mixers. If were to get a mixer that had 8- in and 4-out would it still be possible to record with 8 mics live. How much extra work would this require?

I want to record my 4 piece band with live drums . Keep drum tracks and then go back and overdub the other instruments.

Also, is it a good idea to get a board with phantom power if i have 2 condensor mics. What pre-amps would work well with a board wihtout phantom power?

thanks

Ideally, you should try to find an 8 buss mixer with phantom power for your condensers to accomplish what you are wanting to do.

TASCAM offered a few boards with the 8 buss architecture such as the M50, M512, M520, M2500 series, 1600 series, M3500, M3700 and M5000 series would all allow you to do what you want.

You might be able to get away with a 4 buss mixer if you use the direct out feature of a board that has it, like the M308B or M312B which both have phantom power and direct channel outputs.

How many tracks on tape were you wanting to dedicate to the drum kit?

How many players are in your band?

With only 8 tracks, you have to think about track economy or bouncing somewhere along the way to end up with a good finished product as your recording.

If it were me, I would try to use no more then two tracks for the drum kit and work on a great sub-mix balance on the mixer to accomplish this goal. That way, you have six tracks left for bass, guitars, keys and main plus backing vocals with out a bounce and better sound quality.

Good luck with your sound.

Cheers! :)

DESSERT DWELLER said:
I had a question about compatible Tascam mixers. If were to get a mixer that had 8- in and 4-out would it still be possible to record with 8 mics live.
Yes, if you have a mixer with 8 mic preamps you can record with 8 mics. Not necessarily to separate channels, but that's not what you want anyway. A 4 bus would work, although using 4 channels for drums on an 8-track doens't seem like a great idea, so I would probably mix the drums to a stereo track instead, so you don't need subgroups at all.

Get a mixer with many preamps and good filters. It doesn't have to be Tascam.

Something like this might work as "minimum":
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2571198358&category=23785

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2570679738&category=23785

How much extra work would this require?
Compared to what? Measured in which units?

Also, is it a good idea to get a board with phantom power if i have 2 condensor mics.
Yes.

What pre-amps would work well with a board wihtout phantom power?
Preamps that have phantom power. ;)

Back