Mixer for additional inputs with Duet???

applescruff

Just getting started with this...current set-up is macbook pro with a duet which most of you know is limited to two (2) inputs. Here's my questions...a friend of mine just gave me a small Behringer mixer with 8 inputs...is there anyway I can utilize this with the possibility of setting up more than 2 mics??

Pros? Cons??

Hope this isn't too stoopid...thanks for the help.

One could use the Behringer as a submixer, sending the main L/R output to the Duet's 1/4" inputs.

Pro's: Ability to use as many inputs as the Behringer has.

Con's: Inability to edit the individual signals once they are submixed. You also can't use both of the Apogee's mic preamps and 1/4" inputs simultaneously. You could use one preamp and one 1/4" for a mono submix at the same time, but you have to pick two inputs (vs. four). This makes sense to me as I'm writing it, but it may not translate well.

I could see doing this for something like drums. Perhaps you come up with a mix of drum mic's you're happy with, and just record the stereo mix of drums. Same for ensemble work... say, four mic's on a string quartet tracked in stereo.

More importantly, however, is the quality of preamp. No offense to Behringer gear, but it's not in the same class as Apogee. Using a small Behri mixer in front of the Duet is like having a Mercedes and putting K-Mart tires on it. If you truly need more simultaneous inputs and want to preserve the audio quality you're getting now, you might look at upgrading to the Apogee Ensemble.

David...thanks so much for the response. Drums were exactly what I had in mind so I may give this option a try. I'm no pro and basically just do this for my own entertainment.
Would love to add the Ensemble to my rig it's just not in the budget right now.
Thanks again!

Certainly. I hope I wasn't implying that you would find poor quality using the Behri as a submixer... just that it wouldn't be the same (very high quality) that you find in the Apogee's pre-amps. ;) For submixing a set of drums, the setup described would be a fine solution.

Back