Mixer Channel Failure

untidybargain

Hey, I have a tascam m-30 mixer and I was recording drums with it. I was testing out the levels, and at first I was pushing them all the way to the right on the VU meter and then turning it down and making adjustments.

Well I came back and one of my channels isn't working right. It barely picks up sound and it buzzes. I've tried different cables and mics, blah, blah, and it still is doing it.

My question is, does pushing the meter up to +6 or the max damage the channel?

Hey, I have a tascam m-30 mixer and I was recording drums with it. I was testing out the levels, and at first I was pushing them all the way to the right on the VU meter and then turning it down and making adjustments.

Well I came back and one of my channels isn't working right. It barely picks up sound and it buzzes. I've tried different cables and mics, blah, blah, and it still is doing it.

My question is, does pushing the meter up to +6 or the max damage the channel?

sounds like an amp (op/pre) has given up.
It is possible to hurt components on the strip by sudden bursted input (ie.Drums!!), at too high a level.

That's a bummer!...

Is your M-30 plugged into anything else, pre /post/ inserted into that channel???

Spit

No, the mike was the only thing plugged into that channel. So, when recording, I never want the overload lights to come on the channels, right? Even if that means the channel level is at two or three?

Since the preamp on that channel is shot, is there any way to fix it?

Thanks!

No, the mike was the only thing plugged into that channel. So, when recording, I never want the overload lights to come on the channels, right? Even if that means the channel level is at two or three?

Since the preamp on that channel is shot, is there any way to fix it?

Thanks!

Hi,
correct....you don't really want to see your 'OL' lights coming on for any great length of time...(transients of a few milliseconds should be ok)
If I remember the old M30 correctly (the one with the colourful 'assign' buttons??), and it's beautiful VU metering, I would drive them well off the red zone for drums, (and still see an OL light on the beat), and drive them pretty close to the red for gits.(a very simplistic explantion, I know!!).
When you mention that you are at '2 or 3', is this your typical fader position??
Have you checked your gain control? (pad) (red knobs), were they set too high? Have you checked those '3 position' switches to make sure they are in the correct mode? ..(their names escape me now), but these switches and the red 'gain' controls should be set correctly prior to recording,..and always conservatively...!!!!

Look, I'm being very basic in my terminology here, to make it easier for me!!!:p

Repair???, if it's the M30 I'm thinking of, they are very repairable and not too difficult to open/assess/check/fix by any reasonable technician.
I like these older units.

Good luck!
Cheers,
Spit.

The red gain knobs were all set in the middle, between - and +. Which I assume is the correct position. When I blew that preamp, the mic att switch was at 0 (alway the way to the left), which I guess makes since. But even with it at 20, my faders still can't get above 4 without overload.

Thanks for the help!

Back