Mixed from Korg to Fostex MR8 - a test of a jam - "Quick Jam 69"

junplugged said:
Wow, Brian Jonestown Massacre is around now, I thought I was listening to something from a loooooong time ago, then I go to the web site and they're young and touring! Sounds cool, vintage, c. 1967?
I got to open for them a couple of years ago. Good band, but not exactly friendly.

jake-owa said:
Whoa, this sucks. Well, you wanted the attention.

Seriously though, the performace issues are many. First the drums are whacky, not tight and way too much going on in the highs. The guitar is played sloppy as hell and you go places that are scary with it. The whole things sounds like it's clipping and hashy. That lead is horrid and chopped up.
Ouch, if you had a vocal you could see how bad the mistakes are in comparison, the singing could never hide this bad music.
Not so great.
ooooh jake, you make me sooo mad, i'm just fuming and wondering how I can insult you....not.

yea, sure, but what about the mic placements? :rolleyes:

Stavencrows said:
now I want to hear this and I'm getting shit about codecs when I try and listen.
codecs? that's usually a video thing isn't it? I have mine set up so that it plays in whatever mp3 player I have. When trying for the first time with IE, it asks yo if you want to use a new window and have ie play it in there, or do you want to use your own player. I picked own player. - this is for the latest version of IE, I don't remember seeing it before I upgraded....

Then in the site when you click to play it for the first time, there are choices there too and I don't remember them but I think one was for using a generic mp3 player like winamp. I use winamp, on another machine I saw, it was using real player for the 3rd party player.

uh, 2 of you with that? I just tried it again to check and it's ok over here, not sure what's up with that.

Hehe, good attitude.

What about mic placement? Seriously, how can you even ask that?
Did you listen to this mess? I have no idea where you put things or where to go from there but I can tell you that the mix is bad equalling about 10% of the mess and the performance is REAL bad making up the other 90% of the disaster.

Go from the source in importance, player to instrument to amp to mic to pre to recorder to mix.

Notice how the mix is the last thing on the list here? The actual mic placement could be fine if the playing was different, asking where to put mics in a bad performance is pointless.

jake-owa said:
Hehe, good attitude.

What about mic placement? Seriously, how can you even ask that?
Did you listen to this mess? I have no idea where you put things or where to go from there but I can tell you that the mix is bad equalling about 10% of the mess and the performance is REAL bad making up the other 90% of the disaster.

Go from the source in importance, player to instrument to amp to mic to pre to recorder to mix.

Notice how the mix is the last thing on the list here? The actual mic placement could be fine if the playing was different, asking where to put mics in a bad performance is pointless.
you go boyeeee.

Well seriously, it went like this. I did this jam in January, only because some magazine had an article on famous chord progressions, so I put 2 together and liked it, on my acoustic. So then I figured it had a bit of a good feel so let me play with it and jam a bit on the multi. - by now you are thinking, "dangerous!"

So it was probably getting late and I had to wake up for work again at 5 a.m. so I only had time for one takes of each....

I certainly had no intention of posting it and saying how great it was. So, you ask, "why?" Because I was clearing my hard drive to get set up for the real project that I've been doing all this learning for the past few months.

So I came upon this as I went back in time mixing, saving, archiving, deleting, you know the deal.... And I decided to mix it before I deleted it, bu then I looked a the rack and my old DAW, and wondered what it would be like to mix externally instead of in-the-box. So I went out to a couple of cheap prosumer things and into the old multi. I did this also because I knew how high the levels have to be on those meters for high levels on a track. (I don't know that yet about mixing on the new multi.) so I cranked up the gain on everything until I could (and compression) see the right levels.

Made a wave file and and mp3 and posted to check if anyone liked MY LEVELS!! That's really the point of this exercize, I know it's not a great track, far from it. I think I put a little blurb there on NWR too....

It's scary to hear my tired ass looking for the notes w/ my electric guitar b/c I forgot the chord at that point, but hey, how about those levels! :p

I thought so also on playback of the mp3 thru the site, but the wave doesn't sound as bad. I'll go back and listen to the wave file again to check....

MadAudio said:
I got to open for them a couple of years ago. Good band, but not exactly friendly.
hahaha! ya, i saw this doc with them and the dandy warhols, and anton (singer of BJM), seems like he's fucking unhinged! for instance, they had this showcase at a big club in LA with all kinds of major label A&R guys, and anton freaked out at the guitar player, started yelling at him over the PA, and then they started fighting each other on the ground.

tell more about your experience

I don't know what you are going for...

Musically, I don't know what you are going for...but the lead guitar kinda has a "cure" vibe to it at some points, tonewise. I think that sounds pretty cool...

Amra

I just added a one minute test of a new guitar I got for some people who were wondering what it might sound like. btw, i recorded drums with it and they are mic'd differently than Quick Jam 69.

amra said:
Musically, I don't know what you are going for...but the lead guitar kinda has a "cure" vibe to it at some points, tonewise. I think that sounds pretty cool...

Amra
Thanks for the listen, that's cool, I'll have to listen to it again myself. Somehow this track is #1 in pop/rock?! on NWR.

7string said:
Can you remove the Members Only Download?
I just took the download block off for non-members. It's free, but I guess you'd have to log on if you don't use cookies....

Back