Mixed at 500 miles per hr

Simman

Had nothing to do on a flight from Huston to Tucson so I mixed this Gin Blossoms cover of Hey Jealousy on the plane using earbuds just to see what would happen. This is the results.

Hey Jealousy

Would appreciate your feedback since I have no idea how it sounds on decent monitors

Last edited:
No one? Wow that sucks, I was hoping to get some feedback and make fixes on the flight home.

Oh well.

Guitars and vox are too hot. Drums & bass need to come up. Drum kit sounds a bit thin and mono.

That's a bit of input for your flight...

But won't you just be tweaking the mix w/earbuds again? And if it sounded right the first time, making these changes will only make it sound wrong in the same earbuds. In other words, you'll never know if the tweaks are improving the mix.

Seems to me the value would be in leaving it as is, then checking and remixing it on decent monitors when you get home. That would be an interesting lesson on the differences between your monitors and the earbuds.

Thanks for the input WhiteStrat. I can tell you the environment is not the best and mixing with ear buds is horrible. I've read in other recoding forums where guys claim to run apps on laptops and mix in planes. I guess if you are use to doing mixes in that environment you have a better shot at getting something but, that’s not me.

I never mix in the box to begin with so, it was a completely different scenario then I’m use to right from the start. I am going to try and remix this, incorporating your comments and with ear buds just for the hell of it.

Thanks for taking the time to comment, it is greatly appreciated.

Wow, Hey Jealousy. My first band back in the early 90's used to cover this song, brings back some memories. :)

Pretty faithful rendition, good job. I agree the vox might be a tad high.

Matt

Wow, Hey Jealousy. My first band back in the early 90's used to cover this song, brings back some memories. :)

Pretty faithful rendition, good job. I agree the vox might be a tad high.

Matt

Thanks...This one goes back a ways. I loaded the tracks on my laptop just to give me something to do on the flight. After relistening to it, I'm suprised it isn't worse than it is.

I found out one thing for sure, trying to mix on an airplane is like trying to mix with your head in a blender. :)

Last edited:
Back