Mixdown with effects in CEP/Audition

FBI Cybercrime2

I have all my recorded tracks laid down in the multitrack view, and wanted to see how others here apply EQ/reverb/effects in the mix down process before mastering.

My question is: Do you apply FX/EQ/etc. to each individual track, then "Mixdown" that single track to an open track before another Mixdown of all tracks to a final stereo master track?

OR, do you apply all your effects to each track, get it sounding right, and then mixdown to the final master track?

Also, do you send any of your tracks to a master bus to apply plug-ins such as a limiter/compressor?

Ultimately, I'm trying to find a way to get the highest quality mixdown (with all fx applied on each track) to a stereo master file before I run it through the mastering plug-in.

I assign all my effects per track in multi-track view (to do non-destructive editing of the files, unlike "printing" the effect on the track itself). Then I do my panning and mixing, mix down to a 2 track stereo mix (not bounce to an open track).

Then I use the mixdown to apply whatever additional effects I am going to do. I don't really "master" my recordings, I just make them sound as good as I can for mp3 distribution.

Randy-

What are some of the typical effects you use (reverbs, limiters, compressors, delay)?

Also, why don't you mixdown (bounce) to an open track in the multitrack view? Do you open a new session to listen to your mixdown, or listen to it in the edit view?

In multi-track view, I use mostly compression, EQ and reverb. Most of my music is acoustic guitar/voice demos, so I don't really get into too much in the way of effects. Once I get them where I like it, I "lock" the track effects to reduce processor usage.

You don't have to bounce to an open track in the multi-track view, it gives you the option to mix down to file in that same menu. So rather than have the mixdown inserted in the multi-track project space, it creates a new file and opens the mixdown in the single track view, just like if you were to click on a single track.

If you mix down to an empty track, you have to mute everything else before you can listen to your mixdown. My way, the only thing that plays is the mixdown, because you are in the single file edit mode.

I go to Multitrack View/Edit/Mix Down To File/All Audio Clips. When the mixdown is completed it opens as a stereo mix in Edit View and you can then easily apply whatever effects, fades, etc you want in stereo prior to dithering down to 16 bit and burning to CD, or converting to mp3 or whatever.

Back