Mix playback starting to skip..

Oweh

Hello, Ive been lurking this forum for a little while now.. 1st post, I couldnt find the answer I was looking for so I thought Id ask...

I recently bought a new PC to handle mixing bigger projects. Im up to almost 50 tracks on this one, and the playback is starting to skip in some of the thicker areas.
I have a 16g RAM and AMD 8300 8 core processor. my soundcard is external, a focusrite 18i20.
My roommate, (more of a gamer than anything but good with PCs) said there is no reason why it should be doing this.

Is there more to it than RAM/processor/sound card? Do I need to upgrade again? Any tips would really be appreciated! Thanks.

What are your buffers set too ? Raising your buffers will give your CPU more room to breath, lowering them will put more demand on it. You can reach the settings in the Focusrite mixer and in your DAW.

How many of those tracks are VSTi's ? and how many are audio? There is a big difference. No offense to your roommate, you did the right thing coming to an audio forum, I'm no expert, but there's a lot of knowledge here.

I raised the buffers and it made a huge difference! I never thought about that.... back in buisness!

A few tracks are VST, but they came with the DAW. the rest is the DAWS own EQ and Reverb etc. I kind of figured the VSTs clogged things up worse. Im still learning about those..

Anyway, thank you very much, you saved my day!

No problem,

Raising you buffers also raises your latency so you can change them as needed during your project. Also make sure the USB hub your interface is connected too doesn't have other things running on it that could interfere. That system should work fine with a huge load on it. Good luck!

Back