mix ok? (small sample)

bkkornaker

www.bryankmusic.com
check it.....im still struggling trying to get this mix into shape....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=984132&songID=7992411

Things ive noticed so far ( i may be wrong though)...

- kick drum needs to have the sub lows tamed a bit to tighten it up
- hi hat and ride should have a bit more 4k to poke out/presence
- guitars wave too much low-mids
- snare has a bit too much room verb

what you guys think? decent suggestions? you guys think of something else?

Hi, you are right about everything, and i think that the guitars also have too much low frequencies and the bass is fighting with them. Also the hi hat is too loud, try taking like 1 db.
The kick kicks ass!! sounds great, don't know about the subs, maybe let it as it is now, check the other stuffs and then check again the kick.
Nice synth atmosphere.
I'm waiting for vocals.

good job!

no vocals on this one.....its gonna be an instrumental with lead guitar.....

Im just paving the way for the mix to be solid before i start tracking the main lead guitar....

Mix is well on its way, Bryan!
The only thing I would do is tighten the snare a little bit, that is a little less bottom and the hihats sound very busy. Can't wait to hear your lead on this one. Riffs sound kick-ass already.

Joey :):):):)

I'm not sure the guitars have too much low end. They'll sure make a nice foundation for the lead. Depending on what you're going to do with the added guitar part, giving the rhythm guits to much mids might conflict with the new guit part.

In any case, if I were you, I'd just be open to trying some options after you get the lead in there.

(Sounds great so far by the way.)

I'm not sure the guitars have too much low end. They'll sure make a nice foundation for the lead. Depending on what you're going to do with the added guitar part, giving the rhythm guits to much mids might conflict with the new guit part.

In any case, if I were you, I'd just be open to trying some options after you get the lead in there.

(Sounds great so far by the way.)

hey, definatly not going to be adding any mids to them rhythm guitars. They got to much low-mids going on already. So much beef and body to them....might be too much. I may have to re-record them. I had 2 mic's (both close mic'd) and theres alot of proximity effect going on there. I may want to cut back on one mic a bit and re-record it.

The Carvin legacy amp has a natural huge low-mids sound as i is......jamming 2 mics up close and letting er' rip might have been a bad idea.

ok kids.....i went and took all suggestions, and re-did the mix.....even re-recorded the guitars/bass.

Click here to listen

i think this turkeys pretty much close to being done now....(mix wise that is)

still need to finish recording the rest of the song and add lead guitar, but this 3 minute snippet will get you a good idea of how the mix is coming along....

hows it now?

ok Joey....i still didnt any lead guitars yet, but i added alot more 'intricate" rhythm guitars......

jesus, this song is like over 6 minutes long now.....LOL

Play it here

The only let down for me is the bass drum sound - but that's because I'm not a fan of the milo foil seal sound.
Otherwise a very interesting piece - you managed not to get too dense in the arrangements & left soome space in the quieter bits.
Your playing's good - I really like the non shred parts, (again a matter of taste).
The definition on the bass is pretty good given the beef in the guitars - do you have a high pass filter on it?

thanks ray.....its still a work in progress, but i think its coming along.

The bass i rolled of anything below 20hz and up above 4k as well. Theres an EQ bump in 50hz , 800hz and 2k, as well as a butt load of compression to level the bass track out.

The bass was recorded dry D/I, and then blended the direct sound with an AMPEG bass modeller, so its about 50/50 dry/modeled.

Dig it a lot! Especially how you changed up the mode and split the tonality for a bit at around 1:05-ish in the solo. Very effective and musical: you put some thought into it.....not just a lot of notes. Applause.

Not a nit, but I think some HF distortion [excitation...or what have you...just a smidge] would put a nice knife edge on the work. It sounds a little dull at some points.

Like the mix and pans, too.

Dig it a lot! Especially how you changed up the mode and split the tonality for a bit at around 1:05-ish in the solo. Very effective and musical: you put some thought into it.....not just a lot of notes. Applause.

actually, i didnt put much thought into it. the lead guitar is just a scratch track and is nothing more than a bunch of noodling around. These solos and lead stuff are most likely not going to stay the way it is. I just recorded it so i can get some ideas, and decide what parts are keepers and i should work on, and which ones are just plain bogus.

All the leads are just ideas, nothing solid. I need to incorperate more "melody" throughout the song.

What a cool song! Mix sounds really good to me. Personally I like the kick, I don't think I would change it. Excellent job. Have a point or two on Ol' Dodge

Back