Mix of new death metal song (first post ever)

comprehensive

Whats up people!? I play drums in 4 bands (everywhere from indie rock to death metal) and I recently started a record label in Santa Cruz, CA called Comprehensive Records. My most recent project is called Disengorified and its the only one that we don't have any finished recordings for yet. This is my rough mix of one of our songs (there are no vocals yet, we're recording them next week), I just want to know what you think of it and if you have any advice or input.

I have to get my stereo amplifier fixed before I can use my monitor speakers to do the full mix and being that my headphones have a severe low end bias, some things are a bit off. Also keep in mind that the track is not mastered, but once everything is mixed to my perfectionist standards, I will be sending it to our production wing (currently located in LA) for mastering.

BTW- the production style we are going for is along the lines of suffocation, cannibal corpse and cattle decapitation so it is supposed to sound kind of grimy.

Here is the file- http://www.mediafire.com/?dlm2tmjaoh5

Thanks,
Ian (drums No Jet Left, Disengorified, Deheaded, Bran 182)

Last edited:
Whats up people!? I just want to know what you think of it and if you have any advice or input.

Although the playing seems good. I think your lacking a lot of definition on the mix. It's hard to hear what the kick is doing and there's a hint of toms - bass etc. Basically it's guitar and cymbals over something resembling drums.

Don't mean to be harsh, but you asked.

On any speed metal. it's got to be a lot more defined. Also seemed like you limited the rough? A bit washy sounding

Lot of potential for a good mix though...

Yeah, the mix needs a ton of work - sure doesn't sound like the drummer mixed it LOL. :D

You should post this in the MP3 Clinic.....

For sure, I'll post it in the mp3 section. I was actually listening to it on a bunch of speaker systems last night side to side with the music we're trying to sound like and I noticed many of the same things. I'm rehashing the whole mix right now.

but once everything is mixed to my perfectionist standards, I will be sending it to our production wing (currently located in LA) for mastering

uh right buddy before you send it to your mastering department you might want to send it to the mix engineer that has a clue about what he is doing while your at it. this sounds like you gave the janitor a go at mixing

uh right buddy before you send it to your mastering department you might want to send it to the mix engineer that has a clue about what he is doing while your at it. this sounds like you gave the janitor a go at mixing

Well I don't have a lot of experience yet, and we do have a fantastic mixing engineer that will be helping me along the way when hes back in town, but I do have perfectionist standards and I'll keep going until it meets them. Thanks for the input though, I just posted a different mix in the mp3 section that maybe sounds like the janitor just got a bit more tech savvy.

Back