Mix My Song — Soliloquy

Its not the song, its the timing issues. I'd day its probably the drummer not having enough practice with a click track. Didn't mean any disrespect by my post, just trying to help yous out.
Get the drummer to practice to a click track religiously as much as he can. This will make a big improvement.

Eck
Especially to his playing, never-mind the band. The main reason for a drummer is to keep time. If he can't do that well, then he ain't much of a drummer no matter how technical he tries to be.

You didn't like our performance? That's too bad :(

Our drummer never practices with a click, but we're working on that. Should I re-do all these songs we did before I make a demo?

Definetly re-record the songs if the timing is the same as the song at hand.
Might seem like a drag but well worth it cause your demo CD is showing promoters, labels etc how goods yous are.

Eck

Think it might be the low mids in the guitars that was making your mix a tad muddy. Maybe a slight cut around 300Hz could help.

I need to get back into mixing, not been doing much recently.

Eck
I tried this. It still sounded a bit muddy, but it made the kick seem more prominent, like on it's own. I don't know how else to explain it.

I tried this. It still sounded a bit muddy, but it made the kick seem more prominent, like on it's own. I don't know how else to explain it.

I sometimes do the same for the bass guitar aswell to get rid of muddyness.
Yeah cleaning up the low mids really can create alot more space for the other instruments to break through.

Eck

man...i really wanted to get into this project, but the timing issues are killing me and i'm too lazy to go back and line everything up to a click. and the guitars are a little harsh sounding, real fizzly and hard to make out the note sometimes. too much distortion i guess. but i got a pretty good vocal sound. i'll work on the guitars some more and then post up a test mix just to see how it sounds, but i don't wanna line up all the drums and guitars to the click. re-track!

yeah man just tighten up the performance a bit and it'll be a cool sounding song.

here's my first attempt:

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=10014

i have no idea how it's gonna translate, as i mixed this on my living room floor with no treatment in the room and my speakers sitting on chairs about 2 feet off the ground facing the short side of the room. but i figured i better mix SOMETHING or else i'll get too damn rusty. i think this mix might be too bright though. and could be some funky stuff in the low end too. hell i don't know...any comments??

oh and i didnt really mess with any of the noises or glitches or timing issues, just mixed whatever was there in front of me. :cool::D

but i don't wanna line up all the drums and guitars to the click. re-track!
How do you usually go about doing this? Ive done it manually before and It can be a real nightmare sometimes! Do you use audio quantize or manual editing or both maybe?
Eck

How do you usually go about doing this? Ive done it manually before and It can be a real nightmare sometimes! Do you use audio quantize or manual editing or both maybe?
Eck

me personally, i RE-TRACK!! but if theres a few small timing errors i'll just cut and paste and move stuff around manually. i'm pretty sure NL5 likes to cut & paste also.

did you hear my version yet? i'm curious about how it sounds outside of my lame setup. can't wait til the new room is done....it's killing me!

here's my first attempt:

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=10014

i have no idea how it's gonna translate, as i mixed this on my living room floor with no treatment in the room and my speakers sitting on chairs about 2 feet off the ground facing the short side of the room. but i figured i better mix SOMETHING or else i'll get too damn rusty. i think this mix might be too bright though. and could be some funky stuff in the low end too. hell i don't know...any comments??

oh and i didnt really mess with any of the noises or glitches or timing issues, just mixed whatever was there in front of me. :cool::D

Nice mix. The things that are sticking out to me though, is there isn't much of a sense of space - especially in the vox - and the lack of even simple editing. I think everybody has left the lip smacks from the singer in there. Every singer does it, and they are super simple to edit out. Overall though, it sounds pretty good, especially for being mixed in a room your not used too.

me personally, i RE-TRACK!! but if theres a few small timing errors i'll just cut and paste and move stuff around manually. i'm pretty sure NL5 likes to cut & paste also.

did you hear my version yet? i'm curious about how it sounds outside of my lame setup. can't wait til the new room is done....it's killing me!

Thanks man.
Toms stick out too much.
Guitars sound tight with the bass, frequency wise. Sounds like a build up in the low end. Probably cuase your not used to your set up at this time.

Not bad man,
Eck

Back