Mix Mp3s

pablo

Hey I found this cool PC program called AtomixMP3, I don't know anything about mixing, but I read a bit and this program tells you the exact bmp of every song, even before you play it, and it has the visual aid of the waves that help you match... I has a matchmaker (shhh...) but I know that's cheating and I really want to learn, so I was wondering how legal is it to play other's artists mp3s in a club or something...
Anyone knows?? do you have to pay something extra than the CD from the artist?? do you have to buy the artist's CDs??
Where can I find maxi versions for trance/techno songs??

pablo said:

1) Hey I found this cool PC program called AtomixMP3, I don't know anything about mixing

2) but I read a bit and this program tells you the exact bmp of every song, even before you play it

3) and it has the visual aid of the waves that help you match...

3b) I has a matchmaker ....

4) really want to learn,

5) so I was wondering how legal is it to play other's artists mp3s in a club or something...

6) Anyone knows??

7)do you have to pay something extra than the CD from the artist??

8) do you have to buy the artist's CDs??

9)Where can I find maxi versions for trance/techno songs??

1) Sorry, haven't heard of that program. :( Check out PCDJ.

2) You will still have to learn how to "blend"

3) That won't help you to "blend" better ... :(

3b) ?La lengua ?

4) All you have to do is, practice. ;)

5) By law you are supposed to pay (it's ASCAP's or BMI's responsibility to catch you) ..... but, I'm sure most artists would be pleased to hear their music in a club etc. (plus, it's free promotion for them). ;)

6) ?Otra vez, la lengua?

7) You will need to rephrase your question, because I don't understand what you are exactly asking.

8) Refer to question #7

9) You could do a search on Metacrawler http://www.metacrawler.com, or you create an extended remix yourself. :)

peace .....

using a program like that will get boring anyway, and those bpm counters arealy aren't very precise..
The law says it's alright to play the mp3s, but you have to have the cds with you anyhow to prove that you have the original work too.

maxi trance songs... lol.. there are compilation cds out there from labels like Vision Soundcarriers with long versions of trance tracks, but generally, you will simply have to get turntables (or cd players, but that's still not a great selection) Unless you only wanna play the stuff you hear on the radio, which for trance and house would be all the crappy stuff..
The vinyls will most of the time have the original 5-6 min+ tracks and several remixes (except for some white label and l.e. vinyls) + it's more fun to mix with..

if i saw you playing mp3s at a club, i'd kill you, but you can of course play around with a proggie like pcdj just to get the basics of the game.. i wouldn't kill you then :)

Re: Re: Mix Mp3s

SPINSTERWUN said:

1) Sorry, haven't heard of that program. :( Check out PCDJ.

2) You will still have to learn how to "blend"

3) That won't help you to "blend" better ... :(

3b) ?La lengua ?

4) All you have to do is, practice. ;)

5) By law you are supposed to pay (it's ASCAP's or BMI's responsibility to catch you) ..... but, I'm sure most artists would be pleased to hear their music in a club etc. (plus, it's free promotion for them). ;)

6) ?Otra vez, la lengua?

7) You will need to rephrase your question, because I don't understand what you are exactly asking.

8) Refer to question #7

9) You could do a search on Metacrawler http://www.metacrawler.com, or you create an extended remix yourself. :)

peace .....

Ok, my extra payment question (#7) was because in my country, all clubs are supposed to pay an institution if they want to play songs to the public (they will probably want to do that...), I don't know CDs in USA but in my country they have like a warning that says "This CD cannot be using to be rent or played in a Public area"...
Will that be necesary that I buy a bunch of CDs?? can I just download a bunch of mp3s?? :)

Chriss, thanks for replying!
I know it probably is not even close as the satisfaction of mixing vinyls ;) but I can't afford vinyls right now, and I don't want to buy crappy ones...
And I'm not planing to mix in a club in the USA, it's one in Colombia, we are pretty poor over there, you know... so if you ever go over there don't get shocked if you see a DJ that only has a winamp playlist playing one after another the whole time ;) I see that all the time... actually being able to mix mp3, for a club in Colombia would be prett luxurious I think hehehe.... Anyway I know I'll have to change sooner o later, but I need to make the money to buy my gear, and what a better way to make it than mixing??

Thanks for replying!

Re: Re: Re: Mix Mp3s

pablo said:
1) all clubs are supposed to pay an institution if they want to play songs to the public (they will probably want to do that...), I don't know CDs in USA but in my country they have like a warning that says "This CD cannot be using to be rent or played in a Public area"...

2)Will that be necesary that I buy a bunch of CDs??

3) can I just download a bunch of mp3s?? :)

1) The venue pays the fee or fine

2) No.

3) Yes

;)

a club venue isn't a private place.. i see the rules are a bit different over here though. mp3's and CD-Rs aren't allowed if you don't have the original with you.

So now I have Spinterwun telling me it's ok not to pay for the music and Chriss say I have to do it!
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

i say you have to have the originals with you.. but that's in denmark..
btw: sum' uw' us get sum' for free in promotion :)

Chriss said:
a club venue isn't a private place....
A club is not a public place. It might be patroned by the public, but it is not a public space. It is owned and operated by a private individual or entity.

I know that things are different in the United Kingdom. From my understanding, the Queen owns everything.

pablo said:
So now I have Spinterwun telling me it's ok not to pay for the music and Chriss say I have to do it!
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
OK, remember, I am in the Chicago, Illinois, USA.

Things might be different here in the US or even in Chicago.

If a representative from ASCAP or BMI comes into a club, and I was playing an MP3 of a CD (that I didn't own). I wouldn't get a fine, because the venue pays a fee to ASCAP and BMI to play "music", all formats, of all artists.

?Comprendes? ;)

If you want to know the exact dollar amount (of the fee), I'll post it in this thread Thursday or Friday.

post script. If they did try to fine you or ask you to see the "CD's of the MP3's". Just tell them that the reason you made MP3's is because you didn't want to lug around 4,500 CD's with you, ever time you had to go DJ. ;)

peace ....

Ok, comprendo ;)
Thanks, I'll look for the local laws in my country...
I thing a "Club" is considered a private place over there, because Bars, Discoteques and Restaurants have to be closed at 3:00 a.m. but Clubs can just keep on rollin until sunrise or whatever...

SPINSTERWUN said:

A club is not a public place. It might be patroned by the public, but it is not a public space. It is owned and operated by a private individual or entity.

I know that things are different in the United Kingdom. From my understanding, the Queen owns everything.

damn.. sorry.. must've been tired.. not a public place.. which is why it's allowed to play copyrighted music there.. but not without the original over here..

Back