mix monitors

I got some Adam T5V. I'm new to monitors... They seem quiet unless the onboard gain is up quite a bit. I tried them halfway and its too quiet.
The gain is -60 to + 18 db.And there are 2 filters HF and LF for +2 or -2 db. They are about 3 ft away for now. Is it ok to push the gain up to 3/4. ?
My interface is up 2/3. Where would you have these?? I am always cautious about maxing out power/sound.
thanks

I would start the gain at the 0 mark. But the signal level being sent from the interface is a big part of the equation. What interface are you using and how are you connecting it?

Another part of the equation is what your digital signal levels are. If you're mixing at average levels around -18 dBFS, you'll need to run higher gain to your monitors than you would for music that has been mastered.

I set the level of my monitors to zero. I control the level going to the monitors from the interface.

Load a reference track of some sort into your DAW.

Turn monitors up to max. Turn interface down to minimum.

Play the track, and then increase volume on interface until you get a comfortable listening level.

Once you've established this, you've got a reasonable starting point for mixing.

I am using the Motu M2. It doesn't have mains power. One thing I noticed about monitors..they don't sound ANYthing like the headphone levels...I don't know how you could mix something with just headphones based on the difference.

I am using the Motu M2. It doesn't have mains power. One thing I noticed about monitors..they don't sound ANYthing like the headphone levels...I don't know how you could mix something with just headphones based on the difference.
Agreed. But somehow there are a lot of people that mix on headphones. Some even recommend it if your room is under so many cubic feet. ? Ah, well.

The input sensitivity is switchable between +4dBu and -10dBV. Be sure that's set correctly. It's counterintuitive, but the +4 setting will be quieter than the -10 setting. Normally, you would use +4 for professional level equipment putting out +4 line level and use -10 for consumer grade gear.

Back