Mix Feedback Please

dewhitt

Dave DeWhitt
Hi All,

It's been awhile since I've been on the forum, and I hate to ask for mix feedback when I haven't been active lately, but I'm hoping you'll forgive that and still help :)

I've been working with an artist in my home studio, which is a first for me, and we're completing the last couple of songs for a 5 song EP. This one is just about done, so I wanted to get some other ears on it to see if it sounds ok.

Any feedback is appreciated!

View attachment All Along 4.8.mp3

Thanks!

Dave DeWhitt

Sounds great, what a nice little tune, very catchy, good production. Everything's working for me. The only thing I'm not totally sure of is the bass, it might need a touch more solid bottom end, but acoustic is tricky and sounds like that, so its probably right as it is. Great Job! Love the singer!

Thanks, PDP, I always appreciate your feedback! Yes, she's got a beautiful voice...she's a dream to work with in the studio, I really don't think I could make her voice sound bad if I was trying. I'll check the bass...one thing that might help me there is that she's getting it mastered by Mercury, and the first tune I heard that they sent back to her was stellar in the bass especially. So, I'm hoping they'll work some magic on this one too :)

Thanks!

Dave

Another tune from Dave Dewhitt. cool! :) Wow, you're voice has changed... okay, reading your post. :rolleyes:

Nice catchy tune. Good performance all around and nice voice.

I can't tell if there is a mandolin or wood blocks or some other kind of percussion. It's prevalent, unrecognizable and distracting. It is on the off-beat. Okay, mando on the left side, so that's not it.

More bass as noted.

I would like to hear it with less reverb. Seems more of an organic song.

Nice you're working with other artists. Something I'd like to do someday.

Thanks for sharing.

Hey Chili, thanks for the comments! I did sing BGVs on this one :) I also played the mandolin and the accordion :eek: The percussion you're hearing that's bothering you is a cajon. The singer brought a few friends in on certain parts and one of her friends played the cajon. I wasn't really sure how to mix it...I have a feeling it's an instrument that is cool in live acoustic applications, but is not as great in a studio recording. I actually thought the kid did a nice job playing it during the session, and it isn't really bothering me in the mix, but it could be because I know what it is and I expect it to sound that way. It's an interesting problem you bring up, if it's distracting and not even recognizable. I'll have to chat with the artist about options.

It is cool to work with someone else in the studio, but man, it doesn't pay enough to make it worthwhile in my opinion. Since this was my first time doing this, and since she's the niece of a good friend, I tried to cut her a break and I just gave her a flat rate of $100 per song. It turns out, that's a bad way for me to charge, because I work so much and take so long on each tune, that it worked out to something like $5 per hour...lol. Good thing I love doing this stuff :listeningmusic: if I had charged her what I'd consider to be a reasonable hourly rate, her total nut would have been in the neighborhood of $3000 for 5 songs though!!! Yikes!

Anyway, thanks again for checking it out!

Dave

Back