Mix Down to Wav?

Midlandmorgan

I've been trying to mix down to audio CD using the computer CD-RW...but I'm running into serious snafus...

When I mix to a WAV, the files are so large that even one song won't fit on a 650mB CD...am I using the wrong format, or...how do I get my stuff outta this computer and onto CD?

(BTW I did download the Izotope...wow!)

Thanks!

Mixing to wave is what you want to do, and it shouldn't be a problem. I'm assuming you're doing 16bit 44khz recording. At that rate:

2*44,100 = 88,200 bytes per second
88,200 * 60 = 5,292,000 bytes per minute

That's mono, and we want stereo:

5,292,000 * 2 = 10,584,000 bytes per minute

So, it's about 10.5MB per minute of audio if you mixdown to 16bit, 44,100hz stereo.

On a typical CD, you can fit 74 minutes of 16bit 44khz audio (even though most CD's only do 650MB of data...data is a little different).

If your single mixdown wave is larger than a CD, then you might consider not writing 74 minute songs :)

Slackmaster 2000

Hmmm...

That's the answer I think...I've been recording at 48k...let me see if coverting everything will make a difference...

Thanks for the tip!

Yer Right...Not enough Fingers Here to Do The Math!

I think the answer lies in the fact I've been trying to write to media one song at a time, as opposed to making a master song list and writing it all once...Strangely, I can write to a CD-RW but my home stereo doesn't read the disk...

Just another quirk of technology I guess...Although I've performed on many masters and dozens of demos, the last time I attempted to do any of this from the engineering point of view, there were miles of cables and tape reels involved...

Thanks for the time and information! This site is a great resource for newbies (like me) and pros alike...

Ken

Ya might try a CD-R instead of a CD-RW. Older stereo-type CD players have problems with CD-R's.

I have heard that only a few (newer) stereo-type players will work with CD-RW discs, but I haven't tried it myself.

HTH, Gringo

Hmm, it shouldn't be a problem writing one song at a time to disk. What exactly is the problem here, I guess I'm having a hard time imagining what's going on... ? AHhhhh, I bet you're writing a song and then closing the session! I see what you mean. You don't want to finalize the disk ("close the session") until you're absolutely done writing to it. A lot of this is dependent upon your burning software, but for all intents and purposes they all work the same. Yeah, it would be a good bet to get all your waves together and burn them all at once with your application.

As Gringo said, CDRW won't work in a lot of audio CD players. You might also make sure that you're buring audio disks and not data disks, assuming that an audio disk is what you intend to end up with! Finally, make sure that you finalize the disk before you try playing it in a regular audio cd player.

Slackmaster 2000

Follow the KISS principle (Keep It Simple Stupid):

Do all your mixdowns to stereo wavs.

Open them in an audio editor like SoundForge or Wavelab, normalize them to the same level, do any final tweaks and then as a final step convert them all to 16-bit/44.1kHz (CD audio standard - that's mandatory)

Burn all your converted songs to CD-R and close the disk - you should be able to get 10-15 songs on a CD at 16/44.1

Do it the same way every time and you'll never have a problem.

Back