Mix distortion/clipping accentuation effect

dem466

I'm currently mixing a song, and trying to replicate a specific effect that I've heard on another song.

In the song below (Decode by Paramore - Mixed by CLA), the very last guitar strum at the end of the song has some sort of purposeful clipping on the end. The song i'm mixing would benefit from having something like that on the last chord too - I just can't figure out how to do it.

Paramore: Decode [OFFICIAL VIDEO] - YouTube

I've tried messing around with a few compressor and gain plugins, but can't find any way to replicate that sort of thing.

Any help would be appreciated!

That sounds to me like preamp saturation distortion but could also be as a result of distorting a bus during mixing.

To be honest, I'm not that enamored with it and actually think it sounds ugly, rather than musical. Almost like it was a mistake.

Anyhoo.

Cheers :)

That sounds to me like preamp saturation distortion but could also be as a result of distorting a bus during mixing.

To be honest, I'm not that enamored with it and actually think it sounds ugly, rather than musical. Almost like it was a mistake.

Anyhoo.

Sounds bad to me as well, and more like a mistake than an effect.
But you wouldn't expect something like that to escape chris' attention, maybe it was somewhere else in the process or something to do with the uploaded video.

But if you want that sound then just crank the mix up until it clips, or the specific track you want it for.

Sounds bad to me as well, and more like a mistake than an effect.
But you wouldn't expect something like that to escape chris' attention, maybe it was somewhere else in the process or something to do with the uploaded video.

But if you want that sound then just crank the mix up until it clips, or the specific track you want it for.

It definitely isn't a mistake haha. Not with CLA. It's in all versions, and given the song, it makes sense to me anyway.

The only issue with cracking the mix till it clips, is that it's still going to be a ton louder when it's exported. Because you don't get that distorted clipping sound inside the DAW.

Why not put a distortion plug on the output and increase the input while decreasing the output? Automation is your friend...

Back