mix critique wanted...

ryguy76

New mix for a friend, and just curious as to what stands out as issues. I have my opinions, but I'll keep them to myself until they come up as not to draw attention to my potential insecurities.

http://snd.sc/ZKM3q7

Last edited:
First impression; A bit too much low mids in the vocal. It feels a bit separated from the rest of the tune.

First impression; A bit too much low mids in the vocal. It feels a bit separated from the rest of the tune.

Thanks for listening, Jimmy.

I have been struggling with the low end of the vocals. Didn't notice that the singer was so close to the mic, and the prox. effect was heavy. When you say low-mids, are you meaning 1.5-3k, because I think the issues are more in the lows... 200-500hz.

Thoughts?

The intro is nice but there's a bit of a ping & sizzle on those repeated high notes.
I don't mind the vocal sound at all - it has body and depth - I can't hear any boom or over done lows - there's a bit of sibilance that'd be good to remove if posssible though.

I think the mix sounds pretty good. Might I suggest some room reverb on the vocals to help them sound like they are more in the room with the piano?

Back