Mix critique needed....new song

Levels sound great on my headphones. Noticeably compressed though but that's more a mastering note maybe. Vocals are pitchy in places, couldn't hurt to do some tuning on them I think.

Really cool song, nice arrangement, slick production IMO!

Mate, I agree with easlern that there's a couple of small tuning issues on the vocal.

I don't agree that you should do any tuning on them though. Your voice has a bit of character and it sounds like you're doing a performance - tuning it will just make it sound anodyne IMO - if the little tuning errors bother you - redo them, don't tune them.

This is just my opinion though on the song and the performance though - fuck all to do with the mix - so just do what you feel is right. Neither of us are critiquing your mix :)

Thanks for listening guys!!!! Yeah the vocals might be slightly pitchy in places but I really don't want to touch them... Like jdod said there is character there and it was a real heart felt performance. In this case I think it would take away from it. Personally I love it.
The overall compression is an interesting one. I was thinking that. I will tweak it. Thanks again gents!!!

Yeah, pitchy, but that's been said.

As far as the mix.

Your piano sounds full and real and beautiful. Your guitar fills up just exactly the space it needs to and no more. Could you up your vox/harmonies by like maybe +1 or +2db? Or somehow give them more space in the mix. You want them to be the big booming centerpiece of the song, especially with such simple instrumentation (a la #Adele), and as they are now (I think) they lack a bit of presence or something.

Ooo, I'm loving the deep harmonies, really good sound.

Do you have a different reverb on the bongos as on the rest of the song? It almost sounds like they're being played in a different and much drier room. Or maybe I'm just hearing things.

Joe.

that vocal sound is too bright, sounds like you've used some kind of 'exciter' on it, I would back it off a bit remove the harshness with EQ, then compress it a bit more.

I thought the vocal was very expressive. I think it's a bit too bright. I'm hearing some unwanted artifacts on more than a few consonants. Harmonies are nice. I didn't catch any pitchiness, but I might have missed it.

Little pop at :35.

I like the idea of adding a percussive part at 1:46. I didn't care for the tone of whatever drums those were. The attack was distracting. The vocal should be the center of the song, and those drums take away from that.

The mix gets cluttered when you have the: vocal, backing vocal, strings, piano, drums all playing at the same time. I think I'd just mute the piano during those sections.

The piano sounded a bit fake. I thought the strings sounded pretty nice.

This really helps guys. Yes I agree about the vocal being a little too bright but wasn't sure... Now I know.
The backing vocals I didn't want to make to prominent.. That was a conscious thing.
And yes the bongos are a different reverb I used the stock expand 2 in pro tools and that accompanying reverb. I'll try the reverb I used on the rest of the track . Great suggestions. Thank you

Good song. The vocals sound fine, not noticeably pitchy to me. I like the harmonies. But when the full vocals and orchestration comes in, it feels like there's not enough space for everything to fit. Might have to be more ruthless in deciding in lowering the levels of the supporting parts. Piano sounds really nice.

Yes I think I will try lowering the piano a little during the last 2 chorus. I'm not sure about it just because I want the focus to be more about the lead vox and not the backing vocals.... But if it's clamping then that's no good either. I'll post an update soon. Thanks robus

Back