Mix Contest #9

Hi guys, i hope its not too late, but is the contest still open? When is the dealine? I hope i can still make it. Been busy looking for a job right now so no time for music well except today. :D

Hello, my human beings. What is happening here? I'm still waiting for a review of the Wendy's $3 value meals among other things.

M'kay, first off, an apology of sorts for having this drag on till what seems to be the end of time... Even though it was somewhat out of my control, it has caused me a lot of stress cause I wanted to get everyones opinion...

Anyway, secondly, thanks to all the great people involved...

Thirdly :) without further a due.... here is how it panned out...(I'll just do the top 5, cause I don't see a need to list all down to the "worst")

1.Freudian Slip: The winner (by a close margin)
2.Briefcase
3.Raw Depth
4.NL5
5.BentRabbit

Here is a brief explanation on how we arrived to the 'list'..
FS won by a close margin cause the drum roll at about 1:00 had the most punch, however Briefcase had a tad better stereo seperation and the 'lead' sounded a bit fatter. FS great snare (lotta ring and you captured that)

Raw, props to you on the intro...that held a ton of weight to getcha ya to 3rd, but the overall mix was not too punchy, and not loud enough, it was a bit midscooped...Also the 'stutter' thing was distracting, but kudos for putting it in there. I think your ideas were way cool and we all gave extra points for that.

NL5 Good mix as usual, we felt it lacked a bit dynamics and the guitars were a tad loud and didn't cut like they should.. (too loud and not enough 'prescence') good job on the vox
Bent another good mix, the kick needed to hit more (more top end) and the over mix seemed a little sparse compared to the others...

If anyone has any questions at all lemme know I gotta ton of notes here regarding the mixes...

Thanks y'all, and once again sorry this took way longer than planned, hope ya all understand...I'd rather be fair and take longer than 1/2 ass it.. :cool:

Perdicament said:
M'kay, first off, an apology of sorts for having this drag on till what seems to be the end of time... Even though it was somewhat out of my control, it has caused me a lot of stress cause I wanted to get everyones opinion...

Thirdly :) without further a due.... here is how it panned out...(I'll just do the top 5, cause I don't see a need to list all down to the "worst")

2.Briefcase
3.Raw Depth
4.NL5
5.BentRabbit

FS won by a close margin cause the drum roll at about 1:00 had the most punch, however Briefcase had a tad better stereo seperation and the 'lead' sounded a bit fatter. FS great snare (lotta ring and you captured that)

Raw, props to you on the intro...that held a ton of weight to getcha ya to 3rd, but the overall mix was not too punchy, and not loud enough, it was a bit midscooped...Also the 'stutter' thing was distracting, but kudos for putting it in there. I think your ideas were way cool and we all gave extra points for that.

NL5 Good mix as usual, we felt it lacked a bit dynamics and the guitars were a tad loud and didn't cut like they should.. (too loud and not enough 'prescence') good job on the vox
Bent another good mix, the kick needed to hit more (more top end) and the over mix seemed a little sparse compared to the others...

If anyone has any questions at all lemme know I gotta ton of notes here regarding the mixes...

Thanks y'all, and once again sorry this took way longer than planned, hope ya all understand...I'd rather be fair and take longer than 1/2 ass it.. :cool:

Holy crap! Thanks! I haven't been on the board in days. Been working hard on the studio. I got to say there where so many good mixes I did not expect to win at all. Spent most of my time second guessing my self on the mix where the low end was concerned. I have never mixed a "tool" like sound before so it was alot of fun, but like I said I finally walked away before I screwed it up too bad. Thanks again!

F.S.

Freudian Slip said:
Holy crap! Thanks! I haven't been on the board in days. Been working hard on the studio. I got to say there where so many good mixes I did not expect to win at all. Spent most of my time second guessing my self on the mix where the low end was concerned. I have never mixed a "tool" like sound before so it was alot of fun, but like I said I finally walked away before I screwed it up too bad. Thanks again!

F.S.
:D :D :D :D :D

Congratulations Freud!!!! Kick ass raw mix !! :cool:

And kudos to the rest of you !!!

I think I speak for many of us when I say...

It doesn't matter where I finish when I enter one of these things, I just know I need the practice.

I get a little excited when I see a mix contest coming up because I know it will likely be a fun new challenge for me.

Some of us don't really get to record as often as we would like. (It's just a hobby for me.) It is cool just to have some good tracks to play with, and God knows I need all the practice and constructive criticism I can get.

Thanks Perd, and everyone else too.

Let's do it again soon.

RawDepth

Raw...you have a great attitude and most certainly a most prosperous one!!

And by the way......

Originally posted by Rawdepth~Check this out for a laugh. (Unless you're a girl, then nevermind.)

...Bawahahahahahahahahahaha!!! That is funny !! :D :D :D :D :D

Perdicament said:

2.Briefcase
3.Raw Depth
4.NL5
5.BentRabbit

Whoa nice. Thanks for the letting us mix your song man, it was very cool and I never got sick of hearing it (rare). Congrats FS!

Back