Mix check-in

pglewis

Posted this elsewhere, but thought I'd toss it up here as well. For some reason, I got the idea to do a hyperactive, power-popish cover of Slim Whitman's "Rose Marie". Sure it's a strange urge, but I suppose it beats a rifle and a water tower. Since it wasn't enough to just have the crazy idea on my own, I got some absolutely killer drums contributed by Mike (drmscp).

Keys are still in the works by a very busy Daf, but that'll be the last of it so I wanted to find out how much is working at this point and how much isn't. There's still a few voc phrases the bug the hell outta me, but it's getting to the point where I'll be hard pressed to do any better. Levels and such are still in flux, mostly checking where it's at right now.

Nice.... :D
Killer vibe man....this is a great party tune.

Mix wise, I think it's shaping up well. Drums sound pretty good, but I'd like to hear them a bit more myself...just a personal preference there.

All in all, I think it's pretty well done. Fun... :cool:

You are a fucking lunatic.

Love this.

(I want more kick, but I feel like a broken record with that comment, so it may be fine)

Dogman, Chris: Drums were buggin' me too. Dropped back and punted... remixed 'em from scratch, and I think they're getting a lot better. Still some work there, but they're not so damn squashed to hell and back, it was part of what was making the mix feel flat.

Tex: Good call. I think there's more bass definition now, kinda came naturally with the drum remix.

Thanks, fellas.

More Cowpunk than Power Pop but cute nonetheless.
I don't thing keys would contribute much.
A bit more bottom end on bass & bass drum please.

chrisharris said:
Is the mix here updated?

Yeah, I'm keeping the same link active. Last mix has the drums sounding better and more open. I'm working on some level stuff, will probably update again.

I'm traveling, so on a laptop with headphones. Mix seems to have a fuller sound with the drums now. I can pick the bass out just fine, and it still has a killer vibe... :D

I think this is a better mix, but take it with whatever, from a guy listening on phones.... :p

Okay, I think I'm finally starting to kick the bass in the ass. Probably too much at this point, but I'm tired of underestimating. I think I need to revisit the drum submix again... the OH's are a little hot on the ending. I can't just bring them down. The level is right through most of it and the OH's are giving a lot of life to the snare. I think I just need to tame the hot spots with some envelopes. Having a hard time with the highs on the OH's too, anything I do is a compromise. But I think this last stab is a lot better.

holy crap...now that I can actually hear the bass, that's a really cool bassline. :D

Sounds like you maybe brought the guitars up a bit from the interim mix, which I think needed to happen.

Hey, speaking of enveloping...there's that spot from :50 to the 1:00 mark where you've got some bg vox that sound cool, but I think you need to push up the volume of the lead vocal a couple of db through that whole section.

Back