Mix Board Maintenance...Help Please.

Cion

Hello Everyone,

I have a Behringer MX9000, those of you who know, this is a fairly large board. However, my problem is, I have had this board since 98, and have yet to have the inside cleaned. My board recently started having problems unrelated to the dust build up we were sure to have inside, but as DBM fixed the [actual] problem from regular wear & tear they notified me that the inside was filthy [as we knew]. They stated to clean it would take them six to eight hours at $95.00 an hour :eek: :mad: . I of course, and told them I would clean it myself :cool: .

My question to you all who have had mix boards BIG & small, and have cleaned them [inside out], do you have any tips for me as far as cleaning etc.etc.

Thanks a Million!! :)
Cion'

www.PerseveranceEntertainment.com

Goodness gracious, 8 hours to clean the inside of a board? I suppose if they use a cotton bud between each and every PCB trace, it might take that long. Perhaps it's a tricky piece of gear to pull apart/reassemble?

As for cleaning, try fabricating a rubber tube extension from a vacuum cleaner. Providing no residue or smoke film is present, the dust should just lift off.

A small, soft-bristled brush can be used to remove clogged up areas, and leaves the PCB completely dust free. Electrical hobbyist shops sell pressurized air (in a canister) that can be used to blast dust out. These are effective, but make you sneeze a lot. They are particularly effective on crackly sliders, prior to relubing with a contact cleaner.

Someone might offer a pre-warning about there being static-sensitive devices in there. Unless it has some digital signal processing circuitry (reverb, etc.), I doubt this should be an issue. Do check this before proceeding though!

Last edited:
Hey, Robin, 'Sup?

I'm not surprised it would take that long. It's not a modular board so to get at the insides you have to take off every knob, nut and washer on the thing so you can remove the main board and clean it. And you have to figure out how to get it apart without breaking something or letting the main board flex enough to crack or disrupt any of thirty-five quadrillion surface mount tracks or components. Probably four of those hours are for dis/reassembly, and those guys know what they are doing. Taking one of these apart is a pain in the ass, but with patience you can do it.

Cion, the best thing is to be organized and give yourself plenty of room. This is likely to take a couple of days if you've never done it. I've never taken one of those apart, but have done similar desks. Get a bunch of containers to hold knobs, screws, washers, nuts, etc. and label them all, especially the ones that hold the damn thing together. Make seperate containers for every different type of knob. Make a container for all the screws on the bottom, a seperate one for the screws on the back. You get the point. Leave nothing to chance or your memory. I have even made diagrams on paper and taped the screws to them where the screws are supposed to go. Never say "Oh, I'll remember where that goes". You won't remember five minutes later, never mind three days later. There is a saying- "The dullest pencil remembers more than the sharpest mind". Most of the work is going to be taking it apart and reassembling the thing. That alone will take you many hours. You will understand why they wanted to charge you $95 an hour ;).

I'm gonna recommend the static strap. There aren't digital components to blow, but there are plenty of ICs. It's a surface mount board, and if you blow something you will not be able to repair it, if you can even find the problem. Off to the shop it goes.

Try to take the chassis apart before you take off the knobs or the allen screws that hold the main board, to see inside and make a plan of attack. That way you can turn the thing and move it without risking damage to that all important pc board. I've had it go that the best way was to leave it bare and remove the board, or seen that it is best to reassemble to a point. Be careful- once you get the sides off it will be very flexible. Start by taking off the back if you can and look inside. Something soft to rest the mixer on is nice. Once you are ready to remove the board I'v had success supporting the board from under on a blanket so it won't drop, removign the allen screws, and lifting the chassis off carefully. Also had it where you stand it on end and kind of flop it toward you. 24 channels is a bit big for that, though.

Mark all ribbon cables and their connectors- magic marker works well. The ribbon cables connect all the boards, in/out connectors, and meter bridge. Gotta get those back in the right places. If you want to clean behind the back panel, it's the same. Pull off every nut& washer to release the boards. The jacks & mic inputs should be OK with some deoxit. Spray it on the appropriate connector and insert/remove a few times. DO NOT just spray deoxit in the jacks. Some electronic things melt with a lot of deoxit on them.

Robin had some great suggestions. If you are gonna vacuum, use a very soft tip and definitely a static strap. Try to touch actually touch the board as little as possible with the tip. Surface mount components and traces are very delicate. Use moving contact lubricant cleaner and lube on faders, not deoxit.

If the pots on top have nuts holding them, get the right sized hollow shaft nutdriver. Same for 1/4" jacks. You will save yourself much time and ass-pain.
You will need a small allen wrench to remove the support screws which hold the boards to the top of the mixer. Get two or three. These tend to be very tight and it is likely you will snap an allen wrench or two before you are done. Be prepared to use the vise grips, also. Those screws round out very easily. If you can't get them out with vise grips it's drillin' time :mad:. Or try a craftsman screw remover. Then you gotta figure out where to get the damn screws.

Have small thin screwdriver for prying ribbon connectors apart, and just have every kind of screwdriver there is anyway. One of those extendable magnets from Radio Shack is handy for retreiving dropped screws.

I could probly think of more stuff but i'm tired. Good luck.

p.s. the biggest problems with dust are heat build-up, noisy faders, and bad connections in jacks. It can also trap things which corrode your gear Down and dirty do all the jacks and faders, take off any easily removable panels, and get what dust and dirt you can. A thorough cleaning is best, but....

Thanks Robin & boingoman,

Man, I REALLY appreciate your assistance in your knowledge, and help.

Boingoman, you sure you don't work for DMB... :D you're surly making this job seem VERY hard. [Not that I think it will be easy]...wow, you kind of made me wish I'd let DMB do the job, but hey...for $550 dollars, I need to try.

You gave A LOT of helpful info, especially techs on cleaning, and labeling everything. If you two, or anyone else reading this has anything to add, please feel free...I'm reading. I'm not planning to start the job before next week, so I have my eyes open :eek: .

Thanks again Rob & B... :) :cool:

Cion'
www.PerseveranceEntertainment.com

It's not particularly hard, just kind of drudgy. And I tend to be a bit cautious, especially when giving advice like this. It is pretty easy to screw up something like this, especially if you've never done it before. I would just hate to see you crack a board or something, or end up with extra parts left over (happens to me sometimes) :eek: I spend the next couple days wondering where those screws were supposed to go...... :) I figured out some of this stuff taking apart and cleaning a Mackie 24x8. Tell you, though, when you clean that faceplate and put it back together the thing looks brand new.

Thanks again B,

But, what kind of boards do they have in "the board" :rolleyes: that can crack, and how could they crack?... :confused:

In mixers like that usually there is one main circuit board with all the channel faders and associated circuitry on it. It is big, made of fiberglass, and quite flexible.

I've never done this, but my advise is to take pictures as you go w/ a digital camera. It may help when you reassemble. Good luck.

I wouldnt mind seeing pics too if you decide to go ahead and go fer it.

Back