Mix Board Maintenance...Help Please.

Cion

undefined Hello Everyone,

I have a Behringer MX9000, those of you who know, this is a fairly large board. However, my problem is, I have had this board since 98, and have yet to have the inside cleaned. My board recently started having problems unrelated to the dust build up we were sure to have inside, but as DBM fixed the [actual] problem from regular wear & tear they notified me that the inside was filthy [as we knew]. They stated to clean it would take them six to eight hours at $95.00 an hour :eek: :mad: . I of course, and told them I would clean it myself :cool: .

My question to you all who have had mix boards BIG & small, and have cleaned them [inside out], do you have any tips for me as far as cleaning etc.etc.

Thanks a Million!! :)
Cion'

www.PerseveranceEntertainment.com

step 0 listen to dirty pots "pans and gain knobs eqs" if you find dirty ones its easier to mark them on a list and send it to the maunufacture for repairs
step 1 disconccet everything and remove cover
step 2 get vacume cleaner with a keyboard attachment run it through
everything inside and out
step 3 clean all electrrical boards with cuetips and rubbing alcohol let dry for 30 mins
step 4 replace cover and consider yourself done

ps if you have to take apart other partsof the board its always better to seperate internal screws from external and place them all in seperate small bags label what goes to what so it all goes back together

electronics guy has answer: sort of

we had this wonderful stuff (dont remember the name, but it should be easy to find at anelectronics catalog...)

didnt matter WHAT was the dirt...you sprayed this stuff out of an aerosol can, and it ran all over the place, smelled like solvent hell, but it evaporated quicker than water in teh sahara...and as it ran out it took all dirt away...i think it was what the TV guy when i was young used to clean contacts and old fashioned air capacitors...ask electronics guys and old hams equipment owners and operators...these people still clean contacts and air capacitors...i would suggest a high end CB and ham radio shop...theyll reccomend you a good product, radio shack has idiots working there, IMHO.

SED -

Yes, I agree. It's called denatured alcohol. As a matter of fact, you can find it in a lot of hobby stores. I use it not only to clean my board, but to clean my RC trucks.

Denatured alcohol is just alcohol without any water. The rubbing alcohol one buys at the store has water in it and can cause rust, but denatured alcohol is great and evaporates very quickly. If you can get it under pressure, it works great!

-E

Don't forget the moving contact lubricant if you use it on faders. Faders stripped of their lubricant by alcohol or deoxit will eat themselves fairly quickly.

Back