Mississippi

up-fiddler

Taming the World--for now
When threatened by the likes of gecko zzed and Whatmysay I got on my horse and recorded a bit this afternoon. I know they are going to pull off something great and I will be dining at the pig's last teat but here is the rough demo I ran out the monitors to tape this afternoon. Pay no attention to the written disclaimer on the blog. It's not there for you folks who are fellow songwriters. I have a couple of jerks who shall remain nameless who are taking everything they can get for some insane reason. It's not like I am ever headed to fame or anything and it shouldn't bother me.........but it does. Anyhooooo.....Enjoy the tune. I look forward to the treatments Whatmysay and Gecko give to the lyrics.

Anyhooooo.....Enjoy the tune.

I don't think anyone will top your version, Dave! I think that's the best vocal performance I've heard from you. Congrats on a nice song.

I especially liked your use of the synths. Very inspiring.

Cheers,
Joseph :)

I agree with Joseph about your vocal performance, which has an out-there rambunctiousness that is highly engaging.

Unlike Joseph, I wasn't all that keen on the synths, and somehow I think they detract from the 'down home' feel the song would otherwise have. In general, there is a bit of raggedness about the instrumentation that could actually work big time, but is just a bit scatty at the moment . . . perhaps because of working under duress to get something up as a result of pressure from me and Burt.

Curious things. My version is also in E. I also have a C to B bit in it, and I also go to A in the chorus (though I sit there longer). Is this a case of synchronicity of thought, or is it a case of the lyrics being so highly suggestive of the structure?

Danged if I'm not tempted to stick my version up now, uncomplete as it is!

By the way . . . when reviewing songs, I will always download if I can, because I like to listen at leisure, and not necessarily at the time I read the posts, so I'm guitly of downloading from your site!

By the way . . . when reviewing songs, I will always download if I can, because I like to listen at leisure, and not necessarily at the time I read the posts, so I'm guitly of downloading from your site!

Don't feel guilty at all. I have no problem with the folks here downloading. I know they are just evaluating the tune and helping me to get better. I try to reciprocate as often as I have time to do so. I just get a bit sensitive when there are a couple of folks who are local to my area and they will download an old demo version of a song rather than buy a finished version of the song or the album that I sell locally and on itunes. I probably should feel flattered that other folks actually want my music. Perhaps I am eating too much bran for breakfast?

BTW-I have an SM7 that I traded Big Kenny for and I wanted to get used to it and what it could do. I used it to record everything you hear except the synths. I like the mic a lot but it takes a pile of gain from the pre to drive her. Oh yeah, I used the LA610 as a pre for everything you hear also. It is warm and rich but doesn't stack all that well when you usse it for 7 out of 8 tracks. That contributes to the mushy sound a bit but in the end I didn't care. It kind of gives a front porch feel to the tune. If I had a trumpet player locally who could pop in the synth parts then that is what I would have used but I had to settle for something less to get it done. The project from start to finish took five hours going from a scant melody in my head which I had never actually played to what you hear at the link. I will brush it all up if it ever goes on an album sometime.

I like the vocal. I also like the chain; sm7b through la610 on your vocal. Alot.

The arrangement and melody of the song remind me of Chris Cornell's first solo cd Euphoria Morning. That may not be necessarily what you want to hear but - you know - when something sounds good to a listener they start comparing it to other stuff they like.;)

I like the vocal. I also like the chain; sm7b through la610 on your vocal. Alot.

The arrangement and melody of the song remind me of Chris Cornell's first solo cd Euphoria Morning. That may not be necessarily what you want to hear but - you know - when something sounds good to a listener they start comparing it to other stuff they like.;)

Thanks, I'm officially flattered. For my tenor vox I almost always use the SM7 & LA610 or the SP T3 & LA610. They just seem to work the best for me. I typically bypass the optical compressor when recording vox but not always. If I do use the compressor in the signal chain it is usually set at 1.5 to 1 or 2 to 2 ratios. (Peak/Gain) What you heard on Mississippi was just the pre with the comp bypassed.

Finished last exam 3 hours ago! I will not listen to your version until done mine - no big reason just interested to see where it goes without any influences.

Finished last exam 3 hours ago! I will not listen to your version until done mine - no big reason just interested to see where it goes without any influences.

I fully understand. The only reason I cranked mine out so quickly was so that I could avoid the same temptation. I look forward to hearing your efforts.

An excellent performance except for the synth stabs & lines.
I think a mandolin playing the synth melody & a banjo strumming the stabs would work better for the theme and vocal.
To be honest the synths just sound like ideas jotted down for later use.
Iget the patterns & punctuation of the synths - they do flow from the big beat in the melody.

An excellent performance except for the synth stabs & lines.
I think a mandolin playing the synth melody & a banjo strumming the stabs would work better for the theme and vocal.
To be honest the synths just sound like ideas jotted down for later use.
Iget the patterns & punctuation of the synths - they do flow from the big beat in the melody.

I understand fully. I liked the synths when I laid them down but the more I listen the more they wear on me. I may add a bit of swing fiddle and see how that works. Thanks for the help. (As always.)

I love the staggering feel to your version - but definitely ditch the synth for a trad Orleans jazz band it this will be a killer.

I love the walk down on steals my 'breath away'. You sing with such vitality I would love to see you perform live one day as I think it would be a real treat!

These are great evocative lyrics and it was a pleasure to work with them. I hope you enjoy what I did with them. It was really rewarding and the discover of the Maj 9th working with Mississippi led me to a new arrangement of my own song 'Butterflys', which has had me stumped for some months.

Cheers

Burt

Back