Minimum computer specs for recording?

easye1097

I need to acquire a Cheap computer that is sufficient for home recording. I'd like to know the minimum specs I will need to record properly w/ no latency. I am on a budget so want to buy the cheapest, Used computer possible (read: Craigs List) - I don't need this computer to do anything else besides Record (no Internet, Solitire, etc..). Would prefer Windows over Mac, which is probably cheaper anyways Used.

I will be using the TASCAM FW-1082 10-Channel FireWire Audio/MIDI Interface: http://www.tascam.com/Products/fw1082.html
My recording software will either be the Cubase LE that comes with it or N-Track Studio (24-bit multi-track recording software). I probably will record at most 3 tracks/instruments instantaneously - most of it will be recording one instrument track at a time and then mixing it all down. (approx. 15-20 tracks per song)

Can someone recommend an affordable setup that will produce the least amount of latency possible:
-What Ghz speed, how much RAM, what gig hard drive, bus speed, etc.?
-Firewire card (I've heard you should get one with Texas Instruments chip? for the Tascam interfaces)
- Pentium 4 only? AMD?
- Any soundcard better for latency than others?
- XP only?

I may end up trying to build one myself to save money so any advice on specific components will be a huge help!!! Once again, this will be bare-bones; don't need any bells or whistles.

Thanks,
R

there really aren't any minimum specs. you'd probably be better off posting the specs of a hypothetical system and how you'd like to use it. will you be using plugins? what plugins? how many? direct instruments? etc., etc. check the recommended specs of any software that you intend to use.

if you get the tascam you won't need a soundcard. if you use software instruments a chunk of ram would be good. lots of effects? a fast cpu would be good. neither? about any pc will work. it's good to have a separate hard drive for your audio for best performance. xp will probably be the way to go for at least another 6 months. pci interfaces typically get better latency than firewire and especially usb.

OK - this is my laptop setup now:

1.4Ghz Pentium M
512MB RAM
40GB Hard Drive

I use N-Track Studio as my software and record through a Tascam US-122 USB interface. The latency with this setup is terrible, but I use the direct monitoring function on the US122 to get around this.
Given that I am already having issues with a entry-level unit like the 122, I don't think the FW-1082 would come close on it. Also, I don't have firewire (which the FW-1082 requires) so I need to get a PC regardless.

In terms of what I am recording, almost everything will be mic inputs for instruments and vocals. I currently create the drum tracks with a VST drum plug-in - I plan to continue to this. I use a fair amount of effects on all of the tracks - N-Track has numerous VST plug-in apps for this. Aside from the MIDI drums, most of the tracks will be recorded with mic. Everything will be run directly through the FW-1082 (microphone tracks / guitar amp modeler tracks). Almost all of the wave modifications/effects will be done directly in the recording software.

Last edited:
Your problem there is the USB. You need Firewire!
For about 3 years I was recording on an 800 mhz P3 with 512 megs of RAM and it suited me fine until I started needing to use plugins. Used with two Delta 1010s and could do all 16 tracks at a time with no problem. I think the highest amount of tracks I ever got to without any plugins loaded was somewhere around 53. That machine was great (and is still great... just as a server). You don't need much beef to record, it's just using plugins that takes a lot of CPU power.

Minimum horse power is around what I'm running right now. I'm using a 500MHz PIII with 512 Megs of RAM. I only use the computer for editing and don't use a lot of plugs so I can run around 30 tracks at 24/44.1 with no chugging. I can use 4 or 5 Waves compressors before it starts to show signs of groaning.

timthetortoise said:
Your problem there is the USB. You need Firewire!

i agree. go firewire. usb looks good on paper but in the real world it doesn't add up. with a firewire interface and a second hard drive you would probably be fine using your current system. still depends on the plugins you'll be using and whether or not you will be monitoring software or direct.

What drum VSTi? Chances are that 512MB is plenty for one VSTi running.

Depending on how many plugins and how much CPU they use, you may or may not need a better processor. There's always workarounds for this though, like rendering tracks with the FX applied and then turning off the FX to free up resources.

Get rid of the USB and go FireWire or PCI. Whichever one, but get rid of the USB!

Not a lot of used computers out there have Firewire, but don't let that disuade you. You can get a FW PCI card for very cheap and it takes about 3 minutes to install.

There's not a computer made in the last 7 years that won't work just fine for home studio recording and mixing, with some exceptions. Just keep the tracks you're not currently mixing locked the way every good engineer should, and you'll be fine.

The exceptions are, as mentioned, the use of VSTis, memory hog plugs like (*ugh*) Ozone, convolution reverbs, etc. in which case you moight only be able to go back 3 years with your PC.

The latency problem with that Tascam was onlu a couple of setup clicks away from being solved; it had to do with system settings and had absolutely nothing to do with the USB interface. I've used that Tascam to wonderful results all day long wihout even have to think about latency issues, and that was on an old Celeron laptop with 3 other USB devices connected and active.

If you don't have FW, just get yourself an Adaptec FW I/F card and you'll be set.

And keep your audio PC off the Internet.

G.

Back