minimizing background noise

osion

Hi all, I use Sonar 2 and also sound forge.

I have speaking parts from a VHS recording that I wanted to use in a musical piece so what I did is I played the tape on a VCR and then recorded that with a microphone into Sonar. Obviously there is a lot of background noise, both from the VCR and there was a lot background noise present from the original recording. Anyone have any ideas on what I could do to minimize that ambient noise. I read something about noise gates, would that help? Thanks, you have no idea what a help you guys have been in the past couple of years.

Arm, Ready, RECORD!!!!

I suggest something as simple as just messing around with the equalizer, or a nice program by Magix (No Joke) called Audio Cleaning Lab. If that doesn't work, why not wire the VCR into the computer by Line and then just record from there. let me know how it goes or if you need further assistance.

Yup... it's alot better to use direct cable for recording instead of miking. Route audio out of your VCR into soundcard's Line in. Noise gate is usefull when you want to rid those noises from silent part at prefered gate. Once audio signal "open" the gate, the noise will be passed, along with the audio. If it's "one time project", then download Adobe Audition demo, and use it's noise reduction. I've never heard anything better than that unless you want to spend dollaz on Waves Noise reduction (come in bundle)..

;)
Jaymz

going straight from the vcr to the computer is a good idea, thanks. that will get rid of the VCR noise. the original noise on the tape will still be there. So nothing on Sonar can reduce the noise, I need to download the demo of adobe audition? Is adobe audition what was once cool edit pro? so noise gates only work when you need silence, thanks for the info jaymz

osion said:
So nothing on Sonar can reduce the noise, I need to download the demo of adobe audition? Is adobe audition what was once cool edit pro? so noise gates only work when you need silence, thanks for the info jaymz
Sonar has no extensive audio editing tools, so removing unwanted noises would be difficult to do there.
Yes, Adobe Audition is formerly known as Cool Edit Pro. However, it's ~30Mb to download.

http://www.adobe.com/products/tryadobe/main.jsp#product=92

I didn't say using noise gate was a bad idea, IMO it just doesn't seem to be what you actualy need for this job.

Hope it helps.
;)
Jaymz

i just noticed sonar has a noise reduction thing. I never noticed it before because i always use sound forge for editing. I'll see how it goes. I would rather not download adobe audition because ive never used it and it would probably take me awhile to figure out exactly how to use the interface

jaymz, we must have posted at the same time. I tried cool edit pro a couple of years ago when i was figuring out what program to choose and it confused me. Yeah, your right, the noise gate isnt the way to go for me here.

i used the sonar noise reduction and it came out decent. The noise was reduced but it seemed like it was replaced by some light electronic sound but at least it was much softer than then original noise. It came out good enough to fit my purpose. Thanks for the help jaymz and rockstar.

Well, glad that you worked it inside Sonar :) Anyway, the "electronic sound" you're talking about is most likely flanging sound, as a result of applying too much noise reduction. If there's a parameter on how much would you reduce the noises, then playing around with it will help you find the best spot, where the noises got rid, but the original signal still sounds cool.

;)
Jaymz

Back